Jeep Commander

• this was on yahoo and i want to know who buys one of these to go offroading?

Full-Size SUV: Jeep Commander
    The Jeep Commander is a good choice for off-road enthusiasts, but buyers who spend the majority of their time on the pavement should look elsewhere. U.S. News ranks the Commander last among large SUVs. Its cost of ownership over five-years is $10,000 more than the Mazda CX-9 crossover and even higher than the popular Chevrolet Tahoe, another off-road-ready vehicle. While the Commander's sub-$30K sticker may look appealing, this big SUV is expected to depreciate 50 to 60 percent over five years. Sales were down 56 percent last year, and there's speculation that it may be discontinued after 2009.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• I'm sure they'll be ok when they need traction (snow, sand, etc) but the lack of ground clearance and wheelbase makes them a poor choice for offroad use. Unless you get the Superlift/AEV 4" lift kit and fit some 32s under it. :)

The cool things about the Commander are that it has a huge interior and looks like a Cherokee. :peace:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• yeah, it does carry some Cherokee DNA, too. Like a baby XJ. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• First off, what idiot is expounding advice about non-off-road vehicles and labeling them off-road vehicles? To me an offroad vehicle is one that someone might buy and leave stock or near stock for an expected life working off road and rarely, if ever, seeing pavement; i.e. a four wheeler or a snow-cat. I would even consider a Wrangler or CJ. Look at the number of them used in the Australian outback on huge ranches or for guided tours or for hunting vehicles.

These asshats are the same ones that road test a Wrangler and then mention that its ride quality is nowhere near as nice as a Lincoln Navigator or an Escalade. Well, did you ever consider the fact that compromises had to be made to make it the most capable off-the-shelf offroad vehicle in production? It makes as much sense as complaining about the Didge Viper's fuel efficiency or the Honda Insight's acceleration. The same mentality is why you see so many low mileage used Wranglers for sale. These idiots never considered that maybe it's not the best vehicle for a family of four with a busy shedule.

• I've been watching Commander's for some time now. We've fixed dozens of them here at work. When I can sneak a test drive I can also say it's only an updated Cherokee. High ceilings for you taller folks, the six banger has pep but nothing like the Hemi. The 4.7 gets one mpg more then the Hemi so why not just choose the Hemi? The Limited model has a nifty t-case with limited slip diff's front and rear. A little more ground clearance and I would have purchased one already. There's a guy on expedition portal and the same guy has a thread on pirate on his Commander. p.s- they have dropped in price substantially recently. Hemi Limited's are around 20k now with a couple thou on them...

&quot;Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.&quot;

• that aev commander is cool but i still would rather my Cherokee.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!