Who wants to bring the sawsall??

• My front fenders are a little beat up. I'm ready to take the plung into
    Flat Fenders! This will hold me until I'm ready to tube them up.

Who wants to bring the sawsall and do some cutting on a TJ?? :spinrhead:

Here's a pic of the shape I'll looking to take...

Let me know if your interested.....

Joe

• yup. some un-named person is going for a bender. so save your $ for dies if you want to use it.

joe,
    i have a nice sawsall if you want to borrow it. i dont know that i will have time to cut it, but you are more than welcome to borrow it. i even have a new pack of blades.

• A saber saw would do a better job. It would be easier to control.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "JohnBrereton"

A saber saw would do a better job. It would be easier to control.

Ah Come On, that takes half the fun out of it!!!!!

I have a sawzall also, just in case.

When it all of this going down, I would like to watch/help/watch.

-Chris

• actually, no. a jug saw would be very difficult to use on that fender. there is not enough surface area for the table to sit in.

and technically a saber saw is a generic term for a sawsall. same as a reciprocating saw.

• I always considered a Saber saw and Jig saw to be the same. But a Sawzall is something totally different although they work much the same way.

If you want to make quick work of it use a 4½" grinder with a 1/16" cutting blade for all the straight sections. Then you just need the saw (which ever type you choose...jig saw) to cut the corners.

Be sure to leave enough extra metal on the fender so that you can bend a lip underneath for added rigidity.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• actually if you have a high quality jig saw it would be better to use it. a recip saw can bind and stretch the metal. if you dont know how to use a recip or jig saw well then use a cut off wheel

• yeah, yeah John. so maybe i forgot the spell check. :doh:

lets practice making Joes tube fenders and when get that down, we can make mine.

• Quote from "certk9"

actually if you have a high quality jig saw it would be better to use it. a recip saw can bind and stretch the metal. if you dont know how to use a recip or jig saw well then use a cut off wheel

the Jig saw would be better to use, but the shape of the fender where is is getting cut may be difficult to hold the table on enough to get a good cut.

personally i have a Bosh top handle and it is the best saw i ever used. i used it to make the spacer for my front axle out of 1/8" material, and i used it the other day to make the floor pan for my jeep. yet another great tool to have.

• Joe,
    Personally, I prefer to use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel b/c I have alot more control at making a straight line. That is how I cut my rear fender, and plan on cutting Aaron's fron fenders for him.

• I'll probably use both the Sawsall and the Grinder with Cut-Off wheel.

I all ready have both, well access to a sawsall. Anyone free tonight?
    I'd love to have it done before Sat., and I'm tied up the rest of the week.

Let me know.

Joe

• Joe, I would love to go cut up some fenders tonight, but with going wheeling this weekend and next I have to go practice my water ski jumping to get my ankle back in to shape. I cant wait to see the completed pics. and remeber you can always take off a little more metal, but its a lot harder to put it back on!

Don

• Tonights bad for me. I have a jig saw you can borrow if you want to give it a try.

BMF, I didn't even see the spelling error. I was just lobbying for the use of the jig saw. :mrgreen:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I live in Newark at the college, I might be able to stop by tonight for a bit. I have homework to do and all that, but I'd much rather work on a jeep than do homework. PM me some directions and what time, and I'll see if I can't make it by for a bit at least. That is if your still doing it tonight

we will surgically remove the excess metal from those fenders in no time.

Not sure if surgically and sawzall are supposed to go together. :hmm: If I go in for surgery and they have a sawzall on the table... I don't care what i've got I'm outta that room. :chicken:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!