CDN M101 Trailer Build

• No, that tent is $3600 with the options I am getting. Lol. And yes, these are tents with lifespans in decades, not years. For what I want it is absolutely perfect. :) I hope to bring it to some DEJA event in the near future so folks can check it out. I should have it installed and ready to go in about 2 weeks for a test run in MD.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

• No, that tent is $3600 with the options I am getting. Lol. And yes, these are tents with lifespans in decades, not years. For what I want it is absolutely perfect. :) I hope to bring it to some DEJA event in the near future so folks can check it out. I should have it installed and ready to go in about 2 weeks for a test run in MD.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Plus what you invested in the previous tent. I guess you need the trailer to haul around your moneybags! :razz:

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Plus what you invested in the previous tent. I guess you need the trailer to haul around your moneybags! :razz:

Yes, but like with Jeep associated items, there is an excellent market for used but well-maintained expedition stuff. That tent and custom lid are hot commodities and I will just about break even on my initial investment. :)

• How many times have you upgraded your Jeep? The same principle applies here. This tent build is the equivalent to 40's and one tons on a jeep.

Good analogy. I know how much I spent on my jeep, and I know I am far from the only one to put that kind of investment into one. I have money in the Tacoma but not anywhere near what I put into the Jeep, so now I put money into the tent and overall camp setup.

Here's the more detailed scoop. I have a Wife, kid, 2 large dogs, and a bunch of camping gear/supplies to haul around. This tent, like my current one, sets up in 10 minutes (30 for setting up the whole camp). With the upgraded OME suspension, the Tacoma hauls it all with ease now (not the case stock). This tent also has 2 separate interior areas with sturdy floors that will even take a moderate snow load. So, with this new setup, I can sleep all of us, including a pack n play, with electric heat, quite comfortably. And if the weather sucks, we still have a pretty large interior area to amuse ourselves. On top of all that, I also have a 12x12 Easy-Up to house the camp kitchen and supplies. I have done the nightmare of arriving on a site then having to set up either in the dark, or in crappy weather, and I am no fan. So, I try to take the stress out of the trip, make camping a more enjoyable experience for all involved, which in turn leads to more camping because the Wife has fun. So it is a win win win in my book and money well spent. :)

• FYI, looks like a decent deal here... I have no affiliation with the seller, just posting from the M101 user group. The lid and tent I am selling would fit directly on this with the only work necessary being to weld on the 3 hinges and bolt 2 latches up to the trailer.

[size=2]---------- Forwarded message ----------[/size]
    [size=2]From: [/size][color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][size=small]COREY[/size][/color][/size][size=2] <[/size][size=small][color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][/size][size=small]corey@coreysosner.com[/size][/color][/size][size=2]>[/size][size=small]
    [/size][size=2]Date: Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM[/size][size=small]
    [/size][size=2]Subject: [M101CDN] selling my Trailer[/size][size=small]
    [/size][size=2]To: [/size][size=small][color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][/size][size=small]M101CDN@yahoogroups.com[/size][/color]

[/size][size=2]Had this for a long time thought I would be able to restore. But Alas 3 small kids wont allow it right now so Im selling it. Im in Central NJ asking $900[/size][size=small]

[/size][size=2][img width=640 height=480]https://mail.google.com/mail/c…=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1[/img][img width=640 height=480]https://mail.google.com/mail/c…=0.1.2&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1[/img][img width=640 height=480]https://mail.google.com/mail/c…=0.1.3&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1[/img][img width=640 height=480]https://mail.google.com/mail/c…=0.1.4&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1[/img][img width=640 height=480]https://mail.google.com/mail/c…=0.1.5&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1[/img][/size][size=small]

• Instead of lowering the trailer... you might be able to use an ATV winch to compress the suspension. or even a lever actuated system to drop the suspension.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Instead of lowering the trailer... you might be able to use an ATV winch to compress the suspension. or even a lever actuated system to drop the suspension.

While that definitely could work, the whole reason the trailer sits as high as it does was for when I had 35's on it that matched the Jeep. Now that I am hauling it with the Tacoma, 285x75r16 is the max tire size I would want (current Tacoma tire) and that easily fits with the axle on top of the leaf. And since I have a set of four 265x70r16's which are the same size as my Tacoma spare, that will likely be my end option after I move the axle back. Lowering it also gives me the added benefit of the parking brake brackets aligning properly and making the brake usable again. :) So in the end, I will switch out to 6 lug hubs and likely use my factory Tacoma wheels (with some gunmetal paint) and factory tires, have a spare, and 2 "extra" tires for future use.

• While that definitely could work, the whole reason the trailer sits as high as it does was for when I had 35's on it that matched the Jeep. Now that I am hauling it with the Tacoma, 285x75r16 is the max tire size I would want (current Tacoma tire) and that easily fits with the axle on top of the leaf. And since I have a set of four 265x70r16's which are the same size as my Tacoma spare, that will likely be my end option after I move the axle back. Lowering it also gives me the added benefit of the parking brake brackets aligning properly and making the brake usable again. :) So in the end, I will switch out to 6 lug hubs and likely use my factory Tacoma wheels (with some gunmetal paint) and factory tires, have a spare, and 2 "extra" tires for future use.

Going from 35's to 265x70r16's , you will need to re-gear your trailer. :razz:

• So another update on the trailer and build. First, I went and picked up a BajaRack. Awesome product, very high quality, and looks great.

The new OzTrail 375-OR is now installed on the trailer and I absolutely love it. The bed over the trailer is a full queen with mattress. The adjacent room is about 7' x 7' and the sunroom is about 8' by 10'. All ceiling heights are approximately 7' so there is plenty of room to move around. The setup is extremely flexible in that there are very large windows/doors throughout that can be secured for night or cold, but let light in during the day. I also half-assed some LED reels around the setup but I have all the parts to do a semi-permanent system with 4 zones/dimmers, wiring through an auxiliary battery, and charged by the truck. I also have the ability to power it all via AC when I am at an electric-equipped campsite. The oil radiator was there for my 1 year old, didn't want him getting chilly at night, turns out our concerns were unwarranted as the tent is warm and his jammies are also. :)

So the setup...

While not as easy and quick to setup as the old tent, it is still quite fast and even heavier and more waterproof material. I am very impressed with it and would buy it again. I was able to keep the 32" tires and still achieve a 43" rail height, which is nearly perfect for the tent install (I undid the SOA). The installation of the tent was simply 2 heavy hinges and 2 latch mechanisms, 16 bolts total. I still have to install the included lift struts and work on the trailer, but it is very functional and worked well for our test weekend. The bed of the trailer is accessible from a hatch under the mattress and the trailer tailgate can be accessed right from the sunroom with the removal of a small panel. So all in all, it is a very convenient setup. The campsite was at the Patapsco State Park - Hollofield Area and is only 30 minutes from out house. :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!