YJ Mechanical Fuel Pump Problems?

• I don't seem to be getting fuel to the carb. I've got a fuel supply to the pump (tested via vacuum pump.) Fuel to and through the filter. After that it gets sketchy. I've mounted my fuel regulator to the firewall. If I disconnect the fuel lines after the filter to check progress, I will get a little drab of fuel draining out. Pondering if my fuel path is too long and high (3' hose w/regulator before carb,) my fuel pump is bad (no shower of fuel before filter when cranking,) or in all my shenanigans I haven't let the pump re-prime.

The engine starts right up with starter fluid.

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• Just changed the fuel filter. No improvement.

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• Just changed the fuel filter. No improvement.

When I had a carb on my '88 and ran out of fuel it was a PITA to get fuel back up to the carb. I had to hold my hand over the carb and cut off the air while someone crancked the motor. By choking the moror fuel would eventually make it up the line and all was good.

Aaron

• Anyone know how often the mechanical pumps fail? Odds are this is original. I've got a line on one at Advance for $22.

Mike

• The pump most likely is bad :bang: My 90 YJ was having running issues...only had about 1psi of fuel pushing out of the pump...changed it and no more issues :tup:

• They do go bad. Its a diaphragm pump and that will fail after a while..

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Pump replaced. Engine up and running. Just need to tune the Weber carb.

Sweet.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!