JCR Steering set-up

• I love it. "In my day..." How many exactly have you bent, what part bent, and what was the situation when you bent them?

just hittin the tie rod on rocks on slow approach, i used to warranty it out a lot but got tired of doing the labor part.

• I love it. "In my day..." How many exactly have you bent, what part bent, and what was the situation when you bent them?

I bent 2 of their tierods and on DL...but I'm hard on stuff. I know Turtle's bent a couple as well. I believe all were due to direct contact w/ rocks and not simply the force of the steering like can happen with a factory tierod. The currie's still my preferred setup for anyone that wants a simple bolt-on setup.

--Ian

• the oro setup looks as if you are changing how the tie rod mounts to the knuckle. moving it inward.

not looks...does. It moves the attachment points inward and forward ruining the ackerman angle and inducing tire scrub on tight turns. It's okay on the street but offroad in 4wd on a loose-ish surface that scrub directly translates into decreased turning radius. Steve (ORO's owner) is aware of this but as I said was after a bolt-on crossover setup to facilitate the airrock installation. I had the system for 1 trailride and spoke with him at length about it. He's #1 in my book for customer support as he allowed be to return my used setup and gave me a full credit for it towards getting a swayloc (which I'm 110% happy with)

the jcr system is just replacing the y setup and not modifying the knuckle except installing larger tres

Unfortunately that mod makes it not a bolt-on solution which can be a concern for some that want the option of possibly returning to stock some day. It's the better of the 2 kits as far as I'm concerned, though, as it gives you crossover steering and retains the factory geometry.

--Ian

• i used to warranty it out a lot but got tired of doing the labor part.

What did you warranty? Ends? If the rods bent, just press it back straight. I know you have better access to warranty replacement but I wouldn't even bother. :shrug:

I bent 2 of their tierods and on DL...but I'm hard on stuff. I know Turtle's bent a couple as well. I believe all were due to direct contact w/ rocks and not simply the force of the steering like can happen with a factory tierod. The currie's still my preferred setup for anyone that wants a simple bolt-on setup.

As I said above, it's not a big deal if you bend one. It's never stranded me on the trail and even though I bent the drag link once and the tire rod a couple times, it is as good as new after a minute on the press (or even a winch/strap) while still on the Jeep.

And I'm not sure if it was mentioned but if you destroy a Currie, which I highly doubt would happen...you can replace the tie rod with a factory which almost everyone should carry with them on trail rides.

Other than replacing ends (mine are still the originals) the rod will be the last you'll ever buy.

• As I said above, it's not a big deal if you bend one. It's never stranded me on the trail and even though I bent the drag link once and the tire rod a couple times, it is as good as new after a minute on the press (or even a winch/strap) while still on the Jeep.

And I'm not sure if it was mentioned but if you destroy a Currie, which I highly doubt would happen...you can replace the tie rod with a factory which almost everyone should carry with them on trail rides.

Other than replacing ends (mine are still the originals) the rod will be the last you'll ever buy.

didn't say it was a big deal there hammock boy ;D :P I warrantied it (edit: the tierod, that is) a couple times just cause I was lazy (yeah, even with a press in the garage) and had easy access to peeps that could swap it for me...

--Ian

• warranteed the ends on one kit and another complete kit at least

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!