Seat Covers -- Advice Needed

• Well they are black, so they can get hot. I keep the top up with just the windows out in the summer, bikini style. I normally sweat a lot but don't find the covers any worse than any other seat in that regard.
    About the Neoprene - Possibly there are different kinds of Neoprene but my wetsuits are not water proof. How long does a wet suit stay wet after you use it? Mine stay wet for at least a couple days. Since I haven't had Neoprene seat covers I guess I shouldn't comment on them, but anyone who says wetsuit Neoprene is water proof is just wrong or has a different definition of waterproof.

Well, not to get off-topic, but most people sweat a lot with any wetsuit on so it is going to be "wet" against your skin no matter what... It doesn't allow the outside water to transfer through to your skin and subsequent heat-loss thereby keeping you warm.

• How many people in this thread say do not buy neoprene who HAVE used Wet Okole covers? I simply ask because I have ran the same set in my Jeep since I have bought it... I run all black covers, have no fade, and for 2 years my Jeep has not had a top on it...

I will almost swear by them, I love them!

Me. I hated the damn things for the same reasons Wolverine stated.

• Well, there are definitely some good, strong opinions on this subject -- and probably nobody is wrong since it's a matter of taste. I'm really amazed at how expensive seat covers are, especially when compared to the price of actual replacement seats. I think it might be a cool project to get some used seats at a great price, then either take them to a local upholsterer or just do it yourself and come up with a custom reupholstered seat.

The military-look seat "vests" do look kinda cool and are functional, but I'm not totally sold on them for the $$.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I had the wet okole covers in the CJ (not the knock offs) and for the $ they were great.

not sure if they were 100% waterproof, but they were 100% water resistant...

So, if you plan to leave the jeep outside with no top in the rain, get some trash bags, but if you are looking for a quality cover, that will keep your seats dry in a spring shower or at the beach with wet trunks, I'd say that the wet okole are the best bet.

• When I jump in the river behind the boat my hole body gets instantly wet.And dry suits are not made and neoprene

I don't want to get into this too much but I own a neoprene wet suit that I get wet in and like stated somewhere above hold water really well and can drip dry for day's. I also own a Neoprene drysuit. One of the older ones but still works well. Most of the new dry suits are not neoprene but all the old ones were. It must be different kinds of neoprene or else they add another fabric into the weave on one or the other!!

You all might be right is what I'm getting at :laughabove: :razz:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I've been wanting to get a trilene drysuit because of the ease of entrance. My neoprene drysuit does fit more snug but is a BEAR to get into. :laughing:
    A couple of guy's I dive with have owned both and say the neoprene is nicer because it does fit more snug and is more compact for wreck diving but they all like their trilenes even more do to the fact they can bundle up inside with multiple layers and they are more dependable against leaks since your sleeves actully lock into the gloves as well as the pants to the boots. Only chance of water is the neck seal.

One funny story though, last year (March) we were diving a wreck and my buddy's wife went with us. Normally while donning his suit one of us zip him up across the shoulders (rear entry suit) but this time his wife did it.

We weren't in the water more then a minute and he's checking his seals. He motions too us he's getting wet. We asked what he wanted to do and he motioned to keep going. He doesn't usually run a scooter unless we're going a distance so he didn't take his. After a while we were heading back up and motioned for my other buddy to give him his scooter. He did and we ascended. Once topside it was all he could do to get back on the boat. What happened is his wife did zip the back up but not totally and then never overlapped the seal at the end so it just poured water in. 45* water at that. He had on a thermal suit, wool socks and more so between the water and his thermals he was probably a couple of hundred pounds heavier getting out. We had a great laugh but unfortunately his dives were done for that day since he didn't have any more dry gear with him.

Those suits not only keep water out but if water gets in they hold water really well too! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!