In-Dash Winch Controllers, Chains & Pigs

• I have a XD9000i Warn Winch. I need a Controler for cheap. If any one has a spare Laying around, let me know ASAP please. Trying to get things together.

Might be cheaper to go with a dash mounted control.

I'm thinking of this one:

You can DIY on the cheap too.

• Not to mention when the cable snaps, comes back thru the windshield & takes your head off or splits it open to the neck while you're using a dash mounted unit. In 20 years, (70-90), I never saw a military vehicle that winched from the inside.

• Not to mention when the cable snaps, comes back thru the windshield & takes your head off or splits it open to the neck while you're using a dash mounted unit. In 20 years, (70-90), I never saw a military vehicle that winched from the inside.

Umm...so, if you winch it from inside you'll be in the line of fire while behind the wheel.
    If you winch it from outside - 99% of the time the driver is still behind the wheel and is in the line of fire while another runs the winch pendant. Nobody should be wheeling alone, right? So what is the difference?

On a side note....were you implying that the military does everything in the safest manner? If so, I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree. They use ORM...which is the balance act between inherent dangers/risks and positive mission outcomes. In times of war...is seems that danger/risk usually prevailed.

Back on topic - 12voltguy has some cool stuff.

• Plus if you use synthetic line (which I believe Keith has) then you don't have to worry about the cable snapping. Rope just falls to the ground.

I ALWAYS winched from inside the cab. Also helps if you can keep one foot on the brake, trans in neutral and one foot on gas peddle to keep rpm's up.

Don't forget you can damage a trans by putting it in park and then winching. :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

If you are still using old school metal wire cable you flip the hood back silly.

• i have mine mounted inside and one outside. has anyone seen someone having there heads ripped off by a winch line or the lose of any limbs? or just heard ol wise tales? the cable infact cannot cut u in half or remove a head. mythbusters did an episode on this and they busted it. they had supper amount of tension on a cable and were tring to cut a pig in half. didnt happen! only thing they may have said was suppoesed broken ribs maybe. lemme see if i can find it.

• I have personally seen a chain break and saw it go through the windshield of a truck, out the back window and through the first part of a concrete block wall. Half the chain link was through the inside of the wall but never made the whole link go through. Don't know if it would have cut someone in half but about 6"s to the right and it would have went through the drivers head.

Never saw a winch line break but never really wanted to be near one that did either !!!!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I have personally seen a chain break and saw it go through the windshield of a truck, out the back window and through the first part of a concrete block wall. Half the chain link was through the inside of the wall but never made the whole link go through. Don't know if it would have cut someone in half but about 6"s to the right and it would have went through the drivers head.

Never saw a winch line break but never really wanted to be near one that did either !!!!

yeah a chain weighs a good bit and im sure it can do damage like u said.

mythbusters also did an episode like that too. they shot a chain out of a cannon at a pig and it wrecked the pig. ive personally seen a winch line off of a D8 bulldozer come off while trying to pull one of our 345 cat escavaders stuck at blue diamond pit with the tracks locked. we also had a duel axle huge tow truck hooked up to three snatch blocks that were connected to two offroad dumptrucks. didnt hit anyone thank god but didnt look fast enough to cut anyone in half. pretty sure the winch on the d8 is rated around 80,000 pounds. lol

• heres the pig vs chain! holy shit! lol

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There was an instance not that long ago where a strap broke and took the drivers head off. Came thru the rear window.

With his wife and kids in the vehicle no less.

I think it was a strap with hooks on the end. Can't find the reference to it.

• We stopped using chains years ago on mixers and dump trucks and have now gotten rid of cables in favor of tow straps. We bought some really heavy tow straps at that tool place on Dupont Hwy. in New Castle by Alderman's.

• i have mine mounted inside and one outside. has anyone seen someone having there heads ripped off by a winch line or the lose of any limbs? or just heard ol wise tales? the cable infact cannot cut u in half or remove a head. mythbusters did an episode on this and they busted it. they had supper amount of tension on a cable and were tring to cut a pig in half. didnt happen! only thing they may have said was suppoesed broken ribs maybe. lemme see if i can find it.

I'd beg to differ...saw a winch cable let go in person at PAP and have seen the aftermath of a cable snap on a 'heavy' wrecker that needed repair. The one at PAP was on a CJ and the cable cut into the flipped hood and did a number on the windshield frame. The wrecker we (good friend of mine sells towtrucks) were returning to jerr-dan for repair had a gash in the roof of its peterbilt cab, a smashed lightbar, and a mangled lightbar support/headboard. I've run synthetic line since seeing these....well worth the $$ for the peace of mind.

--Ian.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!