Jooptastrophe

• Cruising along Friday night, hear a tremendous noise and vibration. Water pump failed, fan went into radiator.Towed it home, gonna take it apart and get prices on parts tomorrow. I looked at 1800 Radiator and I'll check local prices. Anybody know any good radiator sources? At least I'll know the cooling system's in good shape for summer!

• Well I was going to mention the two sites already listed... Both of them are the ones I have been looking at as I have been concidering doing a 3 row radiator upgrade, as well as replacing the water pump on mine when I upgrade the elec. fans...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

• Well I was going to mention the two sites already listed... Both of them are the ones I have been looking at as I have been concidering doing a 3 row radiator upgrade, as well as replacing the water pump on mine when I upgrade the elec. fans...

3 row is really overkill and counterproductive in a Jeep as the rows are smaller than a 2 row and more prone to blockage.

• I was going to go with a two row, I've never had mine overheat even chugging through deep sand and it's the original radiator. This is my second water pump in 24 years, though, they don't make 'em like they used to :cuss:

• I got a nice new aluminum radiator off EvilBay for $145.xx

Yeah, I went old school, copper, brass and a couple other carcinogens. Had to wait for this last paycheck to order the parts, so they're enroute. I pulled the radiator and fan yesterday, trying to figure out if I can straighten and salvage the fan.

• you might want to look into an electric fan or a flex-a-lite fan, either way it would provide some engine improvement. I did a flowcooler water pump and never had an issue with it.

Yeah, I was thinking to go with the flex-a-lite fan if I had to replace it to pick up a couple horsepower.

• Ordered everything off of their website last Friday, free shipping, everything showed available, would ship within 2 business days plus the order came with a $30 gift card I figured I'd use to pick up new belts. I knew the free shipping option would take a few days, so I wasn't worried, planned to put everything back together this weekend. I checked today and nothing has even shipped. I called and their rep said "it's because you picked free shipping, that's why it hasn't come yet". I went off. I told her it wouldn't matter if I paid to have it shipped by the fastest method possible if they hadn't shipped it yet! So supposedly she called the warehouse (got a cup of coffee while I was on hold) and came back and told me they would treat it like it was a very important order....so I guess it wasn't all that important to begin with :bang: . I'll be attending the meeting Jeepless, just hope they get me the parts in time to get it fixed in time for the beach cleanup.

• Everything was there when I got home last night! Pulled the radiator and the thermostat housing (found a loose chunk of metal behind the thermostat!) and started taking the fan off, but it was a PITA because of the blades being bent and despite PB Blasting everything while I was waiting for the parts. I was tired and frustrated so I decided to leave it for a while and start working on it again tonight.

• Back in the day me and the girlfriend both had 87 Wranglers and hers had the same dam thing happen to it coming home from work one night. Loud noise from the front, fan through the radiator when the fan bearing failed and cracked the housing, I think it also took out the therostat. So hang in there it is a manageable job if you just take your time. If you haven't already get the mangled radiator out of there first that will give you some extra room, get the belts off, and the shroud. Are you trying to remove the fan by way off the bolt on the front center of the fan? I remember removing it another way that was easier, let me look at my CJ5 today so i can refresh my memory as to what it looks like.

• Back in the day me and the girlfriend both had 87 Wranglers and hers had the same dam thing happen to it coming home from work one night. Loud noise from the front, fan through the radiator when the fan bearing failed and cracked the housing, I think it also took out the therostat. So hang in there it is a manageable job if you just take your time. If you haven't already get the mangled radiator out of there first that will give you some extra room, get the belts off, and the shroud. Are you trying to remove the fan by way off the bolt on the front center of the fan? I remember removing it another way that was easier, let me look at my CJ5 today so i can refresh my memory as to what it looks like.

Thanks, Dan. Yeah, the radiator and shroud are out of the way...if you figure out which way you took your fan off, let me know. I can't remember how I did it last time, either. I was just hot and tired and not that into it last night.

• Ok looked at the CJ, I removed the fan bearing housing, its bolted to the engine block behind the fan. The bearing in there was the cause of the catastrophe in our case, it went bad and aloud the fan to wobble out of control, pull that whole thing off and rebuild it with a new bearing and new fan, then put your new radiator back in, hoses, and fresh ethylene glycol...should be good to go...have fun :up:

• ::) Well, the original damage included the flange breaking off one side of the radiator. I don't know which came first, the radiator coming back into the fan or the fan wobbling/walking forward and hitting the radiator, doesn't really matter, I guess. I've been working on it a little bit each night as I've had time, changed the thermostat, put the new water pump and new belts on, put the fan back on last night. All I had left to do tonight was put the radiator and shroud in and hoses back on. Well, the radiator is the right size, bolt holes are right, but the offset of the flanges is wrong :doh: . With the radiator in place, the fins are right against the fan, loads of room in front of the radiator. I got Autozone on the phone and noticed for the first time the right part number is on the receipt but nowhere on the box or the radiator, so I'm hoping they just pulled the wrong radiator. So I've got another radiator on the way, FedEx overnight, but not in time for the beach cleanup, so at least we'll have a truck down there to haul the trash in (trying to find the bright side).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!