S.O.S. -- Am stuck at my office w/ broken Jeep

• I just went out to go to lunch in my TJ and it kept starting and dying. Will not idle. I can rev the engine and it will run, but the moment I let off the gas it dies. Battery is strong and alternator seems to be working. One other clue: this morning when I left for work I noticed the radio head unit was looking for a security code -- which usually happens when power has been interrupted, like when I'm working on the battery. Ran great in West Virginia last week. While running the battery gauge reads 14, which I think means the alternative is working and charging. Plus, today of all days I did not bring my tool bag...am in a real bind.

Anyone have any ideas? My cell is 302-270-4884. Am obviously not going to be sitting at my computer, so a phone call is best. Thanks. Jim

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• that happened to me once when I had to kick start the jeep to drive home. I just kept my foot on the gas to idle it at stop lights. It's tough but workable. in my case it started holding an idle on its own. never happened again. just don't forget to hit the brake and use heel and toe :)

• A friend on the phone mentioned it could be the throttle position sensor. Sound famliar? Keith, I will go out and disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see what happens when I reconnect. That same friend will tow me to Pep Boys a little later, but honestly I don't want to go there.

• Have disconnected the battery. Shouldn't I get a little spark when I touch the positive lead to the terminal post? I got nothing at all.

• Mine did this when my battery cables needed to be replaced. It would work sometimes and other times it wouldn't. I replaced the positive cable and haven't had any issues since. When the cable wants to work it will show a full reading on the battery gauge. When it doesn't you'll get nothing or have issues with the Jeep running properly.

As you stated it, it could also be the TPS.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• Update at 2:30... the TJ is now running. Keith, I did as instructed with the battery cable. I had previously disconnected the power terminal block that held leads to my winch, air compressor and power inverted, so now the battery is just servicing the TJ without accessories. A few minutes ago I fired it up and it idled correctly.

Klarissa, I will double check the battery connection from the alternator and maybe replace it. (BTW, nice pics of your TJ on Jeepforum...was showing to a friend that I'm hoping is interested.)

At this moment I am back in business, but I don't know what caused the problem or when/if it'll happen again. Thanks for your quick responses. Jim

p.s. Pep Boys sux.

• i had this issue in my TJ and it was the map sensor gone bad.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Question: Does a power inverter draw a trace amount of power from the battery, even when off? I'm going to look at the other things that have been mentioned, but I'm curious about the inverter. I can say that the most recent mod has been the power inverter, so I'm wondering if this problem is a coincidence or is related to the inverter.

The inverter worked fine on the trip to GWNF last week. It has an on/off switch, but I'll bet a trace amount of juice is drawn from the battery when it's not being used, and it finally caught up with me yesterday. Does that theory hold water? Anyone?

• Since you were able to start the Jeep w/o a jump, I doubt your battery was drained.

I would look more toward your connections at the battery.

How are the compressor and inverter wired to the battery?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!