little help for the layman?

• ok, bear with me here. I'm wondering where the best reading material is for someone who knows absolutely nothing about modding a Jeep. I don't know the terminology, the parts, the costs, the resutls...literally nothing. Is there a "Modding Jeeps for Dummies" book somewhere? I've been trolling the forums, but truthfully most of you talk about things at a level I currently only hope to get to. Any suggestions?

Opie

• ok, bear with me here. I'm wondering where the best reading material is for someone who knows absolutely nothing about modding a Jeep. I don't know the terminology, the parts, the costs, the resutls...literally nothing. Is there a "Modding Jeeps for Dummies" book somewhere? I've been trolling the forums, but truthfully most of you talk about things at a level I currently only hope to get to. Any suggestions?

Opie

Best bet is to post what you have now and where you want to go and we will help you.

Lots of experience and knowledge in this little group.

• Keith is right. I knew next to nothing and just from posting questions and reading other threads I'm learning a lot. Still a novice by far but still learning.

• Start which chrome.. and lots of it.. remember .. "Chrome will get you home" Also billet accessories are nice.. Can't go too high with a body lift either.. 6" body lift is a nice start .. then you can fit 44" boggers. Be sure to keep them shine with tons of Armorall. Ohh and tripple shocks.. cant have too many shocks either.

But seriously... read this board and other regional/national boards..
    www.pirate4x4.com/ for the hard core crowd.

Take your time and learn.. most every mod will open a can of worms.. Projects will tend to grow in cost and scope. Ask lots of questions.. there is not shortage of know-it-alls on the board :mrgreen: Best advise , take your stocker, add some skids and basic off road protection.. Go off road... and learn what you can do.. then add more aggressive upgrades as you feel they will fit you style.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Yeah, I really only ment for him to lurk there.. they are a pretty harsh crowed. Good place to learn.. Post with extreme caution after thorough searches.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Post with extreme caution after thorough searches.

yeah, or maybe don't post at all. if you visit pirate, search and read. there is a lot to learn there, but those guys are brutal when someone asks a question that's already been asked and answered. and since everything you could possibly think to ask has already been asked and answered, posting just sets you up for ridicule. it's like the mean-kids club over there...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Take your time and learn.. most every mod will open a can of worms.. Projects will tend to grow in cost and scope. Ask lots of questions.. there is not shortage of know-it-alls on the board :mrgreen: Best advise , take your stocker, add some skids and basic off road protection.. Go off road... and learn what you can do.. then add more aggressive upgrades as you feel they will fit you style.

x2. post your questions here. everyone here is really helpful and very nice (ok, well, almost everyone). there is no shortage of know-how here. and while there is also no shortage of wisecracks and ballbusting, it's all in good fun. mean people generally get chased away.... :)

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• thanks for the help all, I'll troll those forums as well. Keith, Dead, don't worry, I don't plan on asking questions anywhere but here for precisely the reasons you guys were saying. I know people can be brutal when it comes to noobs like me. Honestly that's why I posted this thread. I needed to know if I was going to get hooked up for asking things like "what's an upper?" or "where do I put a skid plate?". This group seems like the people I want to hang with.

Dead, I have chrome bumpers at the minute, but I have to admit, I'm thinking of losing them for something more useful. They look cool, but I don't have a tow hitch in the back, and I thought it might be good to have a winch or a bumper that I can put fishing rods in later (yes, I know those come in chrome). After that, I don't know what billet accessories are, what lift I should get or what size boggers I want yet (I'm assuming those are tires). Sounds like good advice starting slow, but will my stock stuff be able to handle the off road drives? I'm worried I may do more damage than good. Cost is also a factor. Where is a good place to find out how much these mods cost?

• ...but will my stock stuff be able to handle the off road drives? I'm worried I may do more damage than good.

we all started stock at some point. come on out to a DeJA trail ride. you will be amazed at what your stock rig can do, especially when you are with the right people to help you through.

we encourage and welcome all levels, from stock to highly-modded, newbs to experienced drivers. we usually break up into at least two groups - mild and wild. you WILL have fun, i promise.

we also have the BEST trail guides this side of the mississippi. ;D

~ JD

• A lot of jeep guide books out there are just not very detailed and only offer advice along the lines of, "buy this company's stuff." And they are very generic things. In a very short period of time, I went from a jeep novice to a jeep novice with a lot of spare parts and tires in my garage. Then I quickly progressed to a jeep novice with a lot of broken s#*t in my garage. I then learned the proper way to confuse other jeep novices in parking lots who ask "What all should I do to my wife's jeep to get it to look like yours?" How do you disconnect a sway-bar when you don't know what a sway-bar is? Yes you can buy those Rubicon stickers online. I stretched it myself in the garage with sheet metal from old washers...I call it an LJ which is short for Long Jeep...you'll see more around town now that I posted instructions online. You should give me your wife's facebook page...no I don't need yours. Then I became a jeep novice who could really do some damage out on the trail. And all that happened because of the expertise I harvested from this fine club of jeepers. You just can't learn that stuff in a book.

• A lot of jeep guide books out there are just not very detailed and only offer advice along the lines of, "buy this company's stuff." And they are very generic things. In a very short period of time, I went from a jeep novice to a jeep novice with a lot of spare parts and tires in my garage. Then I quickly progressed to a jeep novice with a lot of broken s#*t in my garage. I then learned the proper way to confuse other jeep novices in parking lots who ask "What all should I do to my wife's jeep to get it to look like yours?" How do you disconnect a sway-bar when you don't know what a sway-bar is? Yes you can buy those Rubicon stickers online. I stretched it myself in the garage with sheet metal from old washers...I call it an LJ which is short for Long Jeep...you'll see more around town now that I posted instructions online. You should give me your wife's facebook page...no I don't need yours. Then I became a jeep novice who could really do some damage out on the trail. And all that happened because of the expertise I harvested from this fine club of jeepers. You just can't learn that stuff in a book.

Another classic post brought to you by the good people at JC Whitney

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!