trans is toast

• well trans is toast it will not down shift it wont go into 1st and 2nd very easy. 3rd and 4th grind 5th works though!

any ways the shop told me 1200 for the rebuild and that only includes bushings and syncros and other wearables. he said it could be more when they get it apart.

am i getting ripped? and does anyone have an ax-15 they are trying to get rid of?

ps 99 xj

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• Hell you can get a brand new one for $1400 and install it your self.. Or buy a bone yard trans for $300. Its not really that hard to do yourself.. Rape is preventable.

You can search around http://craiglook.com/newark-de/all.html?q=ax-15&m=130

Might look into NV3500 but it might need adaptor and drive shaft resizing.. Cost would be up there.

Good luck .

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• My Dad's been doing trannys for about as long as I've been alive, and I think he's honest! I'll even talk to him about a DEJA Member discount for ya ;) ... give us a call! There are quite a few members/guests on here that have used our services.

Joe Shilling, Inc.
    5512 Washington St Ext
    Wilmington, DE 19809
    (302) 764-2100

• I bought my transmision from www.mantrans.com about 4-5 years ago. I see they have this listed. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    When I bought mine it was cheaper to buy it off of e-bay then through their site and it had free shipping too.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• its at joe's

i'm going to have to call him tomorrow maybe ill get a trans shipped to the shop.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• yeah i would love a nv3550 and if i had the time to get one and put it in i would be set but i am way to busy at work to take time off to install one.

thanks for the links i think i am going to get that remanufactured one. i'm surprised Joe can't rebuild mine for cheaper then the remanufactured one

• I don't know all that much about your problem but are you sure its the trans and not the clutch. A Trans problem is usualy relative to one or two gears at the start. not all of them at once. If the clutch is not disengaging completely It would cause you to have problems in every gear. Just like if you tyred to push the clutch only half the distance you should and shift gears. As well down shifting would be very difficult. Just somthing to look into.

• i'm surprised Joe can't rebuild mine for cheaper then the remanufactured one

Thanks for bringing your Jeep transmission problem to us! I think when you add the 6 hours or so of labor for the R&R it's comparable... you also get a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty + peace of mind knowing that you can come back to a local shop with any questions/concerns anytime! PLUS we're Jeeps for Joy supporters [img alt=:)]http://www.delawareja.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif[/img]

• The original poster did not specify that the $1200 included removal and installation. Just the cost to rebuild. Its the "could be more" part that concerns me.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• yeah i figured it was implied.

yeah he said if the gears are screwed i would have to pay more to replace them.

he thinks after giving it a test drive that maybe a snap ring failed and the main shaft is moving causing the syncros not to align.

anyways before i took it to them i drained the fluid thinking i was low or something and there were brass shavings in the fluid. i did not see any shavings silver in color so the gears should be good.

just an idea not sure if its possible but if a gear is messed up can i get a different ratio put in? like say first gear to get a granny gear?

• If I'm correct, it's my understanding that the AX 15 doesn't have the capability for different gear ratios (or at least without alot of work on re-gearing both splines and shafts) but the NV3500 does...? Either option is going to be more expensive than the rebuild.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!