U-JOINTS

• anyone have a u-joint press or vice, im driving around in front wheel drive and it sucks, i have the two u-joints just nothing to put them in....anyone have any ideas...im going to replace the whole slip yoke system when my sye kit comes in....a few days hopefully, but i still have a lot of driving to do before then and without power steering and driving in front wheel drive it gets real squirrely.

-kevin

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Just go to Autozone and borrow the tool. It is not as easy as a press but it will get the job done. Many here have a press that you can use. But if you are not able to find one, you can always come to my house. But may be a bit too far, I am 8 mile west of Newark. HTH.

Later,

• thanks for the info ill have to see if autozone has it.

if not ill be back asking to borrow someones

thanks,
    kevin

• kevin,
    i think that drj needed to swap some joints too..and he has a vice. maybe you can line up some time with him and we can do all of them at once? otherwise get the press from autozone and let me know what day you want to try to do them.
    chris

• I have a ball joint press, big c-clamp, a vise and one tool box drawer dedicated to hammers. I am just outside of Newark, you can come by and we can do it here or you can borrow whatever you need. Call, send a PM or email.

• Yeah, I have a large vise, not yet mounted to anything, but it is heavy enough to be useable. I'll offer my garage anytime. let me know when you two are available. Just help me swap my u-joints out too. If it is during the day, let me know (cough, cough), I can probably work something out (sniffle, sniffle). :hmm:

DrJ

• i know but i was looking for something easy and quick id rather not mess up the needle bearings

• Im glad u said it mOPAR :) a C-CLAMP IS A LUXURY you shouldnt be allowed to use one until you have done it the hard way at least half a dozen times :)

A U joint installation tool...........HHmmmm.............sounds like a harry home owner tool, Like a paint roller with a pump handle :)

• I've done that. Sometimes the sudden SHOCK from getting hit with the hammer is what helps the old U-joint start moving.

I should try that method on my kids to get the lead out of their back sides on the weekend. :hmm:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• SLIP!!!!!!!! who the hell slips!!!! damn rookies ...if you cant use basic hand tools then how are you ever gonna use the fancy 35.00 ones.

:spinrhead: :)

• The fancy $35 ones are so you don't HAVE to use basic hand tools. Plus you get a fancy plastic case. :updown:

I was looking into a u-joint tool but I don't change enough u-joints to make it worth the price. I guess that's a good thing. :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I really dont have problems with newbies. Not at all. I was one and still am one in a lot of ways. but if you dont have the mechanical ability to figure out how things work....give it up.......you aint gonna get it. Thats why there are other hobbies out there.............stamp collecting would be one that doesnt require manual dexterity :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!