what does stroking an engine mean?

• i know this is a newbie question but that is what i am. I am wondering what it does to the engine and how you do it i heard them talking about it on the Spike network last night so i am curious. :shrug:

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• By changing the crank to one with longer throw, you effectively increase the displacement of the engine since the piston moves farther up and down.

This increases the HP and torque.

I'm not really sure what else is changed, maybe connecting rods.

• Pretty much what keith said. Usually it's done to get more torque. One common swap is a 400 chevy crank into a chevy 350 to make a 383 stroker.

The larger crank has a longer throw so the piston goes a longer distance creating more torque.

• Also, people put a 258 crank into a 4.0 L to make it a stroker. Or, I believe the same can be done by putting a 4.0L head onto a 258 block.

The 258 is a stroked 232.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yeah stroking is basically putting a bigger crank in but it requires alot of machine work. Most bigger cranks dont fit in the smaller engines, so the crank journals have to be bored out and usually you need either custom length rods or have them machined also. The bearings are different and clearances need to be checked etc.... However the results are usually awsome. Makes for a torque monster of a motor.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• If you would like to know more about the advanced level stuff, (and maybe even listen in on some newbies) check out http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers/

This is a site dedicated solely to "stroking" the 4.0 liter jeep engine.

It basically makes it a bigger engine. from 4.0 to 4.6(max) The holes in it become deeper, the piston moves farther up and down. "boring" and engine refers to making the pistons larger. i.e. "bored sixty over" means that the diameter of the cylinder in the engine block has been machined .060 inches larger than stock.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!