Steering Box Leak

• so i noticed a small oil spot under my jeep. looks like the steering box is leaking around the shaft to the pitman arm. what is the best course of action?

should i re-build it and if so, what do i need?

should i just replace it? if i do replace it should i go with an OE replacement or is there a beefier one i should go with (33's now, 35's in the future)? i have heard of some people putting durango boxes on. i would prefer to not have to do a lot of modification.

thanks,
    eric

• I wasn't overly impressed with the Durango box in a Jeep though I didn't drive it for long. The Wagoneer box works well from what I've heard.

Rebuild info for the Saginaw box is all over the place if you want to try it. HERE and HERE are good starts.

If you go new and want something a little stronger and with ports for hydro-assist (just in case), THIS isn't a bad option. Re-man option HERE.

• I wasn't overly impressed with the Durango box in a Jeep though I didn't drive it for long. The Wagoneer box works well from what I've heard.

Rebuild info for the Saginaw box is all over the place if you want to try it. HERE and HERE are good starts.

If you go new and want something a little stronger and with ports for hydro-assist (just in case), THIS isn't a bad option. Re-man option HERE.

if i rebuild or get a re-man will that hold up well with 35's in the future? would it be strong enough for some rock crawling?

also, assuming rebuild, what is the likelihood of the other internal parts in my current one being worn (assuming rebuild)?

thanks for the info

• Assuming your sticking with the dana 30 front and only running a 35 and only mild wheeling on blues and some blacks I think you could get away with the either rebuilding yours or putting in a reman one. I'd probably just go with the reman one. I'd only consider the PSC if your planning to run a hydro assist.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!