Looking at 3in lift kit and 3in lift...pros and cons

• Hi, im looking at numerous 2in lift kits and 3n lift kits. i know that 2in is usaully the spacers and a shacks and a block, but with the 3 in...are transfer case drops, rear sway bar extensions, etc are needed? as well as it will be for a 97 XJ, so is a sye necessary?

• I'm doing one right now, 3in rough country on an 2001xj, got the front done today between classes, one point at least whith the 31's I have it dosent look like much... Depends what your trying to do.. I'll prob put another 1.5 inches higer boost on it...

• Thats one thing I was worred about for the 2in bb, but as you say, the 3in doesnt look like much of a lift, even with 31's...I might rethink it...

• 3" lift needs new springs front and rear. Not a good idea to run 3" spacers and blocks are never good for XJs. The stock leaf springs are fairly weak and prone to cracking when blocks are used. Remove the rear swaybar, the factory actually removed it for the offroad package.

Most XJs will be ok without an SYE up to 4" if you use a tcase drop. The 95-older XJs can get away with a 6" lift sometimes, but the 96 and newer models have a different output on the case and is more restrictive.

3" and 31s is a nice combo, doesn't look huge but gives it an awesome "tough" stance without going crazy. I miss when my XJ was that height.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• only the front is done here, 17in jk wheels with 30.5in tires... fender height from floor to fender stock was 29 inches, in the front its now 35in so with lift and tires i gained 6 inches, tomm icheck diff and comape hight front to back to see the gain, show be about 4 inches, dosent look like much but it does look mean, ill prob do a 1in budget boost and it will be about right, but the i would order the kit with the contorl arms unless you know you will never go offroad, that seams to be the big inhibitor of flex in this lift kit, other than that i had to order shock boots...

• thats the same thing i want to do with mine, even with the moab rims, thinking getting some black ones, since my jeeps black. with the control arms, whats needed? just longer ones? and keep me updated on how yours comes out, looks like its gonna be really nice n the end.

• if you decide you want to run jk mobas let me know i have a extra set(2 so you will have to order two more but ill gie you a good deal) of brand new 4.5 bolt pattern to 5-5 wheel spacers so you can fit jk rims... the crontol arms need a slight bend to compensate for the lift othersie they bottom out on the lower spring mount. other than that you dont need anything

• i found the same rough country kit with control arms, so that takes care of that. and ill be doing this conversion over summer, when i have the time, patience and the money to do it right. luckily, my dad has a shop with a lift and all tools, so im fortunate. thanks for your help!

• I have a 3 inch Rusty's lift that I can't seem to commit to installing. Its just the cheap aal kit that uses the stock arms. I wanted to just put it on my DD with some 30 or 31 inch tires. I drive 70 plus miles a day and haven't decided how bad it will affect my fuel economy (2001, auto, 3.55 gears)

• ive been reading up on that as well, it seems like the 3in lift in general isnt much, jeeps guzzle gas anyways it seems, but its the heavy tires you put on it really does the trick...

• am i missing something here? the XJ TJ and YJ all had the same bolt pattern but i thought the JK and WJ and WK where a all the same but totally different from the others. how did you just bolt JK rims to a XJ?

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• am i missing something here? the XJ TJ and YJ all had the same bolt pattern but i thought the JK and WJ and WK where a all the same but totally different from the others. how did you just bolt JK rims to a XJ?

superglue

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!