Stock spare tire carrier bolts

• I no longer have a stock spare tire carrier and I'd like to "plug" the threaded holes in preparation for having my TJ painted. I know they are 5/16 - 18 (course) in size. Question: Can that bolt be found with a set screw type of head? I'd like to avoid using a standard pan head bolt if possible. Will definitely not be using torx. Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I no longer have a stock spare tire carrier and I'd like to "plug" the threaded holes in preparation for having my TJ painted. I know they are 5/16 - 18 (course) in size. Question: Can that bolt be found with a set screw type of head? I'd like to avoid using a standard pan head bolt if possible. Will definitely not be using torx. Thanks.

Yes.

TSC might have them.

• If you are painting over them once the set screw is in the hole, why not just putty over them completely and paint over? Very clean look that way.

Sounds like a permanent solution, if I understand you correctly. I was thinking if I just painted over set screws then it would be reversable. Not quite sure why I'd want it to be reversable, but it just seems like a good idea. Let me give that some more thought.

• Tractor Supply! I've decided to heed quadna's sage advice and have the holes filled in and painted. But, the body shop thought it was still a good idea to put the set screws in place to make sure the bondo doesn't just push through the holes.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!