Oil pressure drop

• what could cause the oil pressure to drop and my jeep to stall out?

I've already tried:

replacing the oil pressure switch

unhooking the battery to try to reset the computer

changing the oil

hooked a mechanical gauge up to it to make sure it was pumping, and it is

any other ideas would be much appreciated

• Replace the oil pump, the computer might be sensing low oil pressure and protecting your motor. Not to expensive and you can do it yourself, go grab a Haynes manual or do some online research on how to drop the pan and how to replace and prime the pump.

When you do this kind of stuff finding the problum is like eliminating possibilites, so think of everything associated and start with the most logical/ cheapest to do first. There are also alot of factors, more info on the jeep, mileage, and drive train are important peaces of info in a situation like this.

Cj-

• Same problem here with all the same fixes you mentioned. Looks like you have an 03X (seems kind of soon to be replacing an oil pump but who knows) unless you have some other Jeep, so assuming you have a 4.0 your last bet is to change the oil pump as Clayton mentioned. That's what I'll be doing sometime within the next few months. My Jeep isn't my DD or else it would have been done already. :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• There's no mention in the FSM of the PCM shutting down the engine for low oil pressure.

The pressure sensor feeds data to the PCM which in turn supplies it to the cluster.

I would pull the white connector from the PCM, make sure it's clean and reconnect it just to say you did. (Disconnect the battery first).

Also might try the cluster test routine.

With the key off, push and hold the trip reset button. While still holding it, turn the key to on, but do not start it. Release the button.

It will go through a test sequence lighting various lights and sweeping the needles of the gauges.

It will also display any fault codes that have occurred. If there are none it will display "no FAULtS".

• i connected a code reader to it, it gave me a code for the rail that the spark plugs plug into. Replaced that, disconnected the wiring on the PCM like suggested and now the car wont start at all. Its attempting to, but not catching or "firing". Took the car to BCP in smyrna, figuring since they are a jeep dealer, they might be able to help. They had the car for 2 days, said they can't find out the reason why its not starting. but they said it may be the wiring harness, but uncertain. they gave me a price around $2500. too steep for my pocket at the moment.

i'm thinking, since the car started and ran for a few minutes, it couldn't possibly be the wiring harness. It didn't stop running until after disconnecting the cord on the PCM and plugging it back in. now its just not "catching" or "firing". not sure what the term is. i'm pretty new to the Wrangler scene.

just incase it helps, its a 2003 X. has little under 112,000 miles on it. had the car for 4 months. tried getting ahold of the dealer i purchased it through, and they unwilling to help.

Any more help is much appreciated.

• Jeep techs. are generally idiots when it comes to troubleshooting problems that aren't listed in a manual somewhere.

My Wife's TJ had a random no start condition.

We spent close to $2K on a new PCM and fuel pump at the dealer.

I ended up finding a loose connector in the wiring harness.

That fixed the problem.

Couple questions:

1. Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to RUN ?

2. Do the gauges act normally when to turn the key to RUN ? (Does the fuel gauge and volts gauge move up to where they should be ?)

• all the gauges worked as normal except the oil pressure gauge and the check gauges light coming on. Checked if it was getting fuel, and we were good there.

• Its a long shot but I would do two things. First, pull the gauge cluster out of the dash, clean and grease the connections behind it. Ive had a few XJx and tjs that would throw random check gauges light and loose oil pressure. Usually ened up being dirty/loose or corroded connections behind the cluster.They are notorious for this. Its possible that the loose connection is grounding out on something causing it to stall. Its easy to remove and way cheaper than a new harness. Second thing I would look at is the ignition switch located on the side of the column(not the tumbler). My TJ was having all kinds of issues starting for a while and after replaceing everything cps, coil rail, plugs, tumbler....The list goes on. I pulled appart the switch on the column and found that it was severly corroded. Replaced it with another one I had from an XJ and it starts every time. BTW....Prior to fixing it, my TJ randomly shut off on me more than a few times just idling in the driveway ....It did it another time after I rolled it too.....(although thats a horse of a different color). Again these are just cheap and easy options before dumping $$$ on harness / pcm swaps.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!