New to Jeeps

• So about a couple of months ago, I traded in my "war trophy" (the care I bought with the last of my Iraq money) for a Jeep. Needless to say, this was met with much ridicule by my family as my war trophy happened to be a Dodge Challenger. I still think I made the right move. I was very tired of being sidelined every time it snowed. Despite the cool commercials where the Challenger, driven by Gen Washington, is driven across the battlefield, they simply don't hold up off road. Now I'm in the predicament where I have a new toy...a blank canvas, if you will. I have no idea where to even start modifying my Jeep. So far...I installed a new radio haha.

&quot;Always do sober what you said you&#039;d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.&quot;--Ernest Hemingway<br /><br />&quot;Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.&quot; ---Oscar Wilde

• How big are those tire/wheels? Also, how much of a lift would you recommend for the 2011s?

&quot;Always do sober what you said you&#039;d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.&quot;--Ernest Hemingway<br /><br />&quot;Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.&quot; ---Oscar Wilde

• Get out your check book this will only hurt a little... It's a lot of fun! :beer:

So what do most mods need for payment? Arm? Leg? First Born?

• Most only cost a few fingers, but some of the bigger ones like a bumper and winch will cost an arm. ;) The good news is that there are a lot of cheaper mods you can do that don't cost too much (grab handles, seat covers, etc), and that the JK Wranglers are cheaper than any previous Wrangler for fitting larger tires. You can fit 33s without a lift if you want, and a $300 2inch lift will work with 35" tires for most people. I'm looking at getting a 2012 Rubicon and I want to leave it alone since it comes with 32" mud tires and with the lockers, it'll do stuff that 35" Jeeps will have problems doing. Skid plates will be more important, though. :innocent:

Welcome aboard! Right around the corner from you off Phoenixville Pike is Quadratec, the biggest online/catalog retailer for Jeep stuff. Some of the prices are higher than elsewhere but club members get a 10% discount and if you order over the phone you can pick up at the warehouse and save on shipping. http://www.quadratec.com/ I used to work there, but I'm not pimping... honest! ;) Their website and catalog are just really useful for getting ideas.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks for the help Jerry! You know what I've passed by there a few times on the way to my old Army buddy's house. Never knew what they sold.
    Now I just need to find a garage to do all this. I live in an apartment complex and all automotive work by our lease agreement is "Verboten", or "forbidden". Besides, I have basically no tools anyway haha. This is what happens when you are an ex-sports car guy. Ready, willing, and excited to learn all about this new machine of mine.

• I've got a Charger Daytona myself... at least until I trade it in on a 2012 JK. All I need for that are some sockets and wrenches to change the brakes. :) We don't have a HOA or anything where I live, so I do most of my own work here, but the big stuff I've had to beg friends to use their garages. Kinda hard to install a lift kit on a sloped driveway. *doh*

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Hey, I managed to leave my Charger alone for the past 18 months. Well, almost... cutouts in the exhaust (planned!) and projector halo headlights (unplanned). :innocent:

Jerry / Whatevah

• So about a couple of months ago, I traded in my "war trophy" (the care I bought with the last of my Iraq money) for a Jeep. Needless to say, this was met with much ridicule by my family as my war trophy happened to be a Dodge Challenger. I still think I made the right move. I was very tired of being sidelined every time it snowed. Despite the cool commercials where the Challenger, driven by Gen Washington, is driven across the battlefield, they simply don't hold up off road. Now I'm in the predicament where I have a new toy...a blank canvas, if you will. I have no idea where to even start modifying my Jeep. So far...I installed a new radio haha.

It is a good looking Jeep you bought Bret. We just got to get you to drive in to the Station with the doors off once in a while. That way I won't be the only one that gets the dirty looks from security.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!