TJ is listing 4 degrees to starboard

• So my TJ's driver side is about 3/4 inches taller than the passenger side. It's been that way for awhile...I think it's about time I did something about it. I've measured in several places, and I can't pinpoint a single location that's the problem. Is this common with older TJs? Is there a common solution? I was thinking of putting some sort of spacers under the passenger-side springs, but I'm afraid that might be a bandaid solution. Help!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• it's a problem with pretty much all of the Jeeps. The torque puts more force on the passenger side springs so they'll wear down sooner. Spacers shouldn't hurt anything.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Silly question - do you usually carry heavier stuff on the passenger side that could be causing it to sag more on that side?

Main reason I ask is that I've seen a jeep get a little high centered on the passenger side and when the passenger got out it cleared the rock ok.

• Are you certain both front and rear springs are sagging towards the right? Do you have gas charged shocks? I've heard of dead shocks on one side in the back of the Jeep causing the opposing side to raise up a little...which in turn puts the opposite front corner to squat slightly.

If evenly sagging to the side then instead of allowing those to sag more by installing spacers, why not swap the left and right sides around? Following the above posted theories, eventually they should level back out.

• undo your sway bars one at a time and see in the jeep rights itself. if there is more pressure on one arm then the other it will cause the jeep to sit funny. easy start.

• Thanks all. I should have stated right up front that I'm running a Fabtech 4" suspension lift. You've all given me some good ideas.

I do not normally carry extra heavy weight on the passenger side. I don't recall any trail episode where the suspension was damaged. I will consider parking sideways on hills!!

Chris, can you give me a tip to make swapping the coil springs easy? I've never done it. Obviously I've got to get all four wheels to hang down. Can I use a ratchet strap to compress the springs a little to make them easier to remove?

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• a ratchet strap would be extremely difficult to use, especially safely. There are dedicated tools called spring compressors that would be better to use. However I believe that there are two general designs and one doesn't work very well, so I guess just make sure it makes sense on how to use it. The one I got from Qtec works well, I'd loan it to you but I don't know where it's buried in my garage.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• If you decide to swap them, do the fronts then switch ends and swap the rear springs. Disconnect your sway bar, driveshafts, maybe the trackbar, and give it a try. If there isn't enough room then drop the lower control arms and that'll give you plenty of room.

Your welcome to use my spring compressors.

• Follow-up: I swapped the passenger side and driver side rear coil springs. Now the TJ only lists 1 degree to starboard! I went from being lower on the passenger side by 3/4 inch to only 1/4 inch. So, that's noticeable improvement. I expected this to reverse the direction of the lean, making the driver side lower. But, that did not happen. At this point I'll just leave it alone. Quadna thanks for lending me the spring compressor tool.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!