Can anyone out there weld cast aluminum?

• I have an intake manifold with a crack in it that I need to get welded. The crack is out in the open on the water crossover near a fitting that can be plugged. The manifold is clean and off the car. Any leads would be appreciated.

• It's an old Holley Strip Dominator for a small block Chrysler. They're out of production and a comparable new one would be somewhere between $250 and $300. The crack is about 3/4 of an inch long and I am sure it's due to an over tightened fitting. I'm not above using JB weld, but this isn't something I want to have leak once it's all together.

• I've never tried this , but it looks pretty cool, might be worth a try .

From Web site: Alumaloy is a fluxless aluminum repair rod and is very user friendly. Alumaloy will solidify stronger than the aluminum you are repairing.

www. alumaloy. org/ LINK Broken by request from owner - KNOXRENTS

www. alumaloy. org/aluminumrepair.htm LINK broken by request from owner - KNOXRENTS

[list type=disc]
    [li]Butt Joints - Broken Rakes Ends are beveled and brought together. Follow tinning procedure, stroking both surfaces of the joint (with tinned groove) with Alumaloy.[/li]
    [li]Lap Joints - Parts can be tinned and slid together while rod is still molten, or a generous fillet of rod can be applied to the edges of the lap joint, making sure of tinning by running a stick through the molten area.[/li]
    [li]Mitered Joints - (in Windows, Doors, Screens & Frames) Material is solidly jigged. A neutral flame is played over the joint area until Alumaloy will melt when drawn across the joint. Make sure of tinning action by running solid end of rod through rod deposit. After tinning, the joint may be built up and finished as desired. These joints are stable in the presence of humidity and have remained in perfect condition after many years of exposure.[/li]
    [li]Aluminum Repair - (change design of aluminum, match patterns and dies) The section to be worked is cleaned by filing or grinding, then tinned by heating the aluminum to a temperature that will melt the rod when rubbed on. When tinning, the Alumaloy rod should be kept out of the flame, letting the heat from the aluminum melt the rod. Build up with a soft flame. Pre-heat the entire match plate of the die to approximately 600 degrees F facilitates the operation.[/li]
    [li]Aluminum Welding - (white metal with Alumaloy) Clean plating or scale from surface to be welded. .V. out fracture and set job up solidly. Pre-heat generally with neutral or acetylene flame. Just heat directly until parent metal starts to melt, then dip rod in and out of molten puddle to desired build up.[/li]
    [li]Stripped Threads - Drill old threads out over size so when new fillet is added all drilling and tapping will be done in Alumaloy. This will make it easier to work with and will increase strength. After drilling, heat base metal from bottom of hole up. Tin rod into wall of hole beginning at bottom and work up. Fill hole, cool, drill and tap as needed.[/li]
    [/list]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by KnoxRents ().

• Found this post about Alumaloy:

I used it in the past but more recently I have tested sodel 68 and sodel 480 which are similar competitive products. Other manufacturers would also sell comparable products. sodel 68 has a melting point of 735 F and is best welded with oxy- acetylene torches with a carburizing flame (excess acetylene 1700F flame). It has a tensile strength of 40,000 psi. Sodel 480 is flux core and 68 requires a flux. These products can work very well and require cleanliness as formentioned and good heat transfer to the part being welded for fusion.(therefore the carburizing flame). The weld is very strong but tends to get brittle next to the weld. The flux is corrosive and the weld can corrode quite rapidly and therefore should be cleaned with a brush and boiling water before any grinding mixes the flux back into the weld. Mig or tig aluminum welding are superior and can be tailored to the alloy being welded. The rods you mentioned have been supplied by various manufacturers with similar properties for years and were commonly used by body shops years ago before the mig and tig became popular and can produce good results especially on some pot metals.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Thanks Steve! I think I'm going to try the Alumaloy as I have a propane torch. The guy I got the intake from told me about the crack and said it didn't leak, but it was covered in thread sealer. I think I'll get an aluminum pipe plug and use the Alumaloy to 'weld' it in place since I don't need that fitting. Thanks again for the link.

• I saw that you can buy smaller quantities from Ebay. Might want to have a MAP gas torch , they burn a bit hotter.

• Thanks. They do sell individual rods on their site for $1.99 each. Shipping was $10 minimum, so I bought five rods. If this works I'm sure I'll find lots of uses for them. I'll look into a MAP torch as well. Thanks again, I knew I'd find an answer here.

• Got the stuff today, but was unable to get the manifold hot enough (728 degrees) to melt the material with my propane torch. So I went to Sears and bought a Mapp torch, but the hottest that got it was 572 degrees. I even tried to bake it in the over until the whole thing was over 400, but still couldn't get it over 600. Any ideas what else I can try? TIA

• Sorry that didn't work out for you, I was really hoping it would work.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!