Transmission line leaking

• There are two metal tranny cooler lines running to the bottom of the radiator along the driver side of the engine block. One is supply and one is return, I'm sure. The top line has developed a leak -- a very bad leak. It seems that it has been rubbing against the exhaust header/pipe clamp for years, and it has finally worn down the metal to wear there it just decided to rupture. This wouldn't have happened if the metal line had stayed put in the plastic holder bracket, but it didn't. These cooler lines are part metal, part rubber.

Can that metal tubing be somehow repaired with a weld and/or larger metal sleeve? Must I purchase a whole new line? I believe they must come from the dealership...ouch! Is there a fairly-nearby DEJA Jeeper who'd be willing to give me a second opinion to make sure I've correctly diagnosed the problem? Am off work today (thanks Marty!) and would like to deal with this pronto. Cell is 302-270-4884. (Am headed out now to the dealer, NAPA, etc and won't see any posts here for awhile.) Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Is it the braided steel part of the hose or just the metal line? If its just the metal line you can cut the line with a small tubing cutter and install compression union between the two pieces.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Is it the braided steel part of the hose or just the metal line? If its just the metal line you can cut the line with a small tubing cutter and install compression union between the two pieces.

Looks like it's the metal line. Was thinking of doing just that, but I got a set of lines -- supply and return -- from the local dealership today for $49. Expensive, but not crazy-obscene-expense, so I ordered them. Will need to somehow put a sleeve over parts of the lines so this doesn't happen again. Thanks.

Can't find this in my TJ shop manual, so if anyone has any dos and don'ts please post up here.

• That's much cheaper than I thought.... :shrug: I think one of the hoses is threaded into the trans and the other has some type of push on connector that's a PIA to remove. Not really helpful but more of a warning. :mrgreen: While the lines are off, it would be a great time to add a tranny temp gauge...

• That's much cheaper than I thought.... :shrug: I think one of the hoses is threaded into the trans and the other has some type of push on connector that's a PIA to remove. Not really helpful but more of a warning. :mrgreen: While the lines are off, it would be a great time to add a tranny temp gauge...

These help.

• I was referring to the part where you have to lay on your back, reach up and over the tranny skid, find the fitting blindly, and manage to get the tool in the vicinity of said fitting for removal. :razz:

• I was referring to the part where you have to lay on your back, reach up and over the tranny skid, find the fitting blindly, and manage to get the tool in the vicinity of said fitting for removal. :razz:

OK.

Some try to get them apart w/o the tool and usually end up breaking something.

• To tell the truth, I don't recognize the tools in that special kit, Keith. I have various pliers, box wrenches, ratchet set, etc.

• To tell the truth, I don't recognize the tools in that special kit, Keith. I have various pliers, box wrenches, ratchet set, etc.

They are made to separate the connector.

It will be hard if not impossible to do it w/o one.

It's easy to damage the connector using pliers or a screwdriver.

• They are made to separate the connector.

Finish that sentence for my benefit. separate the connector from... Am unsure what a connector is in this situation. thanks. Is this by any chance one of those Auto Zone rental tools?

• Finish that sentence for my benefit. separate the connector from... Am unsure what a connector is in this situation. thanks. Is this by any chance one of those Auto Zone rental tools?

Just going by what Ed said.

I have a 5-speed so really aren't that familiar with what you are doing.

I think it would be what connects the metal tube to the braided or rubber hose.

• Gotcha. I can tell you that both lines -- return and supply -- have metal and rubber portions. There is what appears to be a permanent (factory) fitting joining the two. So, if that's the concern, I think I'll be ok there. Actually, that's one of the reasons I chose to buy a new set of lines...to also replace those aging connections at the same time I'm repairing the crack.

• Gotcha. I can tell you that both lines -- return and supply -- have metal and rubber portions. There is what appears to be a permanent (factory) fitting joining the two. So, if that's the concern, I think I'll be ok there. Actually, that's one of the reasons I chose to buy a new set of lines...to also replace those aging connections at the same time I'm repairing the crack.

Looking at the drawing you may be correct.

• The pressure line I ordered from the dealership came in today and.....it's the wrong line. So the question the parts guy is asking is....do I maybe have one of those 1998 models that's really a hybrid with some parts from 1997 and/or 1999?

Of course, in response, I just had one question back at him: WTF?!

(Suddenly, installing some rubber pressure line with compression fittings is starting to look good.)

• Follow-up: I ended up cutting the pressure metal line a few inches from where it enters the tranny, then installing pressure hose all the way to the tranny cooler. I actually eliminated one joint/connection in the process, which I thought was good. I bought one of those mini-pipe cutters for the job -- pretty handy little tool.

I also did basically the same thing for the return line. At first I questioned AutoZone on whether or not the hose was high pressure. Even the store manager was unsure, but we ended up talking with another AutoZone manager (Jason McKinny in Smyrna, of McKinny Transmissions). The hose was labeled "10 BAR" and I got educated on how that indicates a pressure rating much like "PSI" would. I used the pressure hose on both the pressure and return because it's also rated for higher temps than other hose (like fuel injector hose), and the hoses pass fairly close to the exhaust pipe. Not everybody sells pressure hose by the foot...but AutoZone does! As a precaution, I ran both lines through a 12" section of 3/4" hose where it passes next to the exhaust pipe, just to give them an extra layer of protection.

I've put 15 miles on the TJ and so far no leaks. I just have one concern. The return line's fitting (where it enters the tranny) is tightened, yet the metal line can move a little as though the fitting is loose. Seems like that's the way it's designed, but I don't get it. Should that return line go back into the tranny snug and tight like the pressure line is coming out of the tranny? Or is that some type of special fitting designed to have play in it?

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Is it a compression fitting? It may have an o-ring inside the fitting. These are instances where over-tightening has no merit since the o-ring is doing the work - not the clamp around the fitting. Also, if you are having ANY concerns about the longevity of your repair, an extra 5' length of hose with clamps already installed on it looped up at the bottom of your center console might not be a bad idea. Just keep it bagged in a zip lock bag to keep debris out of the tube.

• I'd be more concerned about the "injection" hose being high temp vs. High pressure. I know they have transmission specific rubber hose which I got from Napa but it's $$$! I would think if the hose isn't rated for the higher temps It could break down and fail sooner.

That being said, I have used injection hose for a lot of stuff with no issues.

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!