Lock-wrong locker damage

• Some of you might remember me talking about how the lock-rite in the rear of my CJ7 D44 never unlocking. I always attributed this to the width of my tires and light weight in the rear of the vehicle......looks like I was wrong. I tore my rear apart today and found that I had sheared all four pins off. One good thing is that when they sheared off they all became lodged between the two plates that run on either side of the crosspin. Hence always locked!! I guess my heavy right foot broke it!! :rollsmile: The 8 pieces at the top of the pic used to be four pieces. I dont know if I will be able to reuse this thing, the holes look a bit elongated where the pins broke off. Anyone ever heard of this happening??

• My LockRite broke in exactly the same way. I did it on the trail at Paragon, at the same time that I broke my front right axle shaft in three places. The pins sheared in half and lodged between the plates, leaving the front always locked.

I only wanted to go into the front diff once, so I bought an Aussie locker, and swapped the LockRight out. With some new pins, the LockRite went into turtle's front diff which is now on JeepSahara's jeep, and is working fine from what I hear.

• ah man i just installed a lock-right in my jeep...i guess i gotta chill with the burnouts and abuse to it. dont wanna break it

• I may be wrong but I believe the Lock-right has a tire limit size of 33".

I have a Powertrax No-slip and like it a lot. It doesn't make any noise.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Wow, you raised this thread from the dead....if you installed the lockrite correctly you should be fine. Many people forget to install the thrust washers back onto the lockrite during installation causing an increase in distance between the halves of the lockrite and more stress on the pins. I didn t do this the first time and that is probably why it broke. I now have lockrite in the front and aussie lock in the rear of my cj running a v8 with D44's and have had no problems whatsoever. Blacks, reds, tire smokin, no problems so far.

• haha yeah..im pretty sure i did it right..there were no parts left after i installed it :shrug:
    now that i think about it, it probably wasnt a good idea to put a ratcheting type locker in my weak d35..but i only have 33's..nothing too serious

• In the beginning I had a lock-right in the d35 rear in my Zj. Lasted through months of burnouts and donuts. Then I finally broke a shaft and took it back out. You hear mixed reviews on ez-locker's. Everyone wheels different though.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!