1991 yj heater issue.

• well... i know this is stupid to ask this time of the year but.... I have some crappy heat in my jeep and im wondering if the heater core is bad or its the fact that its a 91 yj....

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Disconect the lines from the eng and use a garden hose to back flush it. I had NO heat in my 89 XJ and flushed it and had all the heat I needed. Disconect at the eng not the core (you can damage the core if you pull or twist the hose) :o I made that mistake!

• As long as there is space around the garden hose and the other end is open, u think it would actually build any measurable pressure?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

• As long as there is space around the garden hose and the other end is open, u think it would actually build any measurable pressure?

No one told him to leave space around it.

Most people's instinct would be to make as tight a seal as possible.

If it's badly plugged, yes I think it would build pressure.

Like I said it depends where you are.

City water pressures can be up to 100 psi.

• Didn't think about it being plugged... I am curious if this may help my heater as well. I have never touched a heater core. Does it hold water in operation? If so, how do u purge the air after the flush? If not, then how do u make sure its drained completely after flushing?

• Didn't think about it being plugged... I am curious if this may help my heater as well. I have never touched a heater core. Does it hold water in operation? If so, how do u purge the air after the flush? If not, then how do u make sure its drained completely after flushing?

It will always have coolant in it.

Typically, most flush kits install into one of the heater hoses so it will be flushed along with the rest of the system.

Some recommend disconnecting one of the heater hoses when filling to purge the air.

• Go to the hardware store an buy a 5/8" female fitting repair kit for you garden hose and a bottle of CLR. Disconnect your heater hoses at the front of the engine and install the hose fitting on the smaller hose. Attach your garden hose and turn the water on only about 25%. Let it run for several minutes. When the water continually runs clear, disconnect your garden hose and dump the bottle of CLR into the large heater hose. Let it sit for only a couple of minutes and then flush everything out again with the garden hose for several minutes.

The key is to NOT open up your garden hose the entire way.

No guarantees but the above method is what works for me.

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!