Jeep's Hard to Start

• Start with the basics when it will not start do you have Fuel? do you have spark? That would be where I would start. Hope you find it I know how frustrating this can be. :up:

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• with the kind of fuel filter old yjs have it has 2 outputs one to the carb and one back to the fuel tank you have to put a clamp on the return line to build up pressure to register it on the fuel pressure gauge. im not saying its bad its actually good it makes it take longer to wear out the fuel pump because there isnt any back pressure on it. i have an ignition module you can have for free i pulled it off when i swaped the carb it worked when it was on just fine.

• Ok... Took the Venturi out and gave it a thorough cleaning. Soaked it in carb cleaner then blew it all out. Took the fuel supply line off at the fuel filter and had the wife try and start it with the skinny pedal down. I'm getting fuel and hooked it all back up and got the jeep started. YAY!!

When I was checking the fuel supply line the fuel pulsed out. About an oz on 2 pulses before I had the wife stop. This happened when she was turning the key and steady (i think) on the skinny. Should it pulse or be a steady flow? I also had to cover the carb throat completely with my hand. It started five more times after being shut off but I'll let it sit a lil and try again. I'll post up results. Also does anyone have a diag of the rotor cap and plug seq? My Haynes doesn't have one. :upset:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• 1-5-3-6-2-4... Plug wire closest to passenger fender working clockwise. Hope that's correct. It idled pretty well For about 20 mins and stalled again. I started it right back up and let it idle for anothe 20 mins while I was cLeaning up tools. Then took it for a quick spin round the area (10 mins or so). No stalling or missing. Going to let her cool down again and see what happens.

Could I need to tighten the plugs? I don't have a torque wrench but when I put the new plugs in I tightened down as much as I could by hand... About half a turn after I felt the lock washer engage.

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• I'm fairly certain that the wires are in the correct order/place. When I went out to start it earlier it wouldn't start until I took the air cleaner off and opened the butterfly valve some. I set the adjuster screw so that the valve Can't close all the way. Looks like it wasn't breathing very well. We'll see how long this fix lasts.

• Well it lasted until today. Jeep started up pretty regularly and it idled for about ten mins before I left for work. Got 1/2 mile from house and she shut on down. :cuss: couldn't get it started so I called the wife and she came up to tow me back to the house. On the way back it started up again. I let it idle back to the house while being towed and it stayed running. So I took out the air filter and covered the housing opening (where the intake hose should be) and covered it with a sock. Ran pretty well to work. It gurgled once on the way which forced me to the shoulder in case it was goin to choke out but it never shut off. Anyone know a good shop in he bear/Newark area b/c I'm about fed up with this thing.

• Well finally got the compression test on the YJ done. On a side note I do not recommend borrowing the compression tester from Autozone. After 3 tries with different testers I ended up ffinding an old style tester in the tool box and it worked perfectly. I could not get that screw-in type with the hose to give me any reading at all. Probably operator error but whatever... :idiot:

Anyways I got the following results: (cyl#=psi)
    1= 115 2= 120 3=125 4=120 5=130 6=125

So now that I can breathe a little easier knowing that the internals are ok I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump ($25 and 15 min job). Still no change so I ordered a replacement carb today. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I plan on changing the valve cover gasket and maybe the rear main if possible. In the 2 weeks its been sitting it's leaked about a quart of oil. :doh: Anyone have any advice on changing the rear main?

• Forgive me if I've missed this in the previous posts, but might it be your timing? I've have my distributor loosen up and rattle itself into overly advanced and causing problems. I'd imagine a broken vacuum advance could also cause some issue.

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• [move]
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!
    [/move]

Installed the new carb last night and hooked all the vac/electric connections back up. She turned over just before midnight! I was so happy I drove around til almost 1am this morning! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and helped me get this issue fixed. :hug: Special thanks to Aaron for not blocking my number and taking the time to explain the issues/repairs that I needed.

I do have to say that I am very pleased with the new carb. Jeep feels like it is getting more power/torque and it is definately running smoother than before w/o any missing or stalling. I definately recommend these guys http://www.guaranteedcarburetors.com/index.html for anyone looking to replace their carb.

They had the most reasonable price I found for a reman carb and they also have a lifetime waranty on it. They flow tested and adjusted the carb perfectly so all I had to do was bolt it on and hook it up. Very happy with their product and customer service.

• So one of the issues I was having is lack of fuel. Read a few write ups in JF about the inline dual outlet port fuel filters. Unfortunately this dual port filter is stock for my YJ. It has one inlet and two outlets (one to carb and one return to tank.

I found that I hadn't completely tightened the hard fuel line that goes into the carb and that allowed the return port on the fuel filter to tilt to about 2'oclock (it should be at 12'oclock directly above the carb feed port). This was allowing a fair amount of fuel to run straight back to the tank instead of to the carb. This was causing it to stall, run rough (missing) and also part of the hard starting issue. I tightened the hard line all the way and set the filter so that the return port was at 12'oclock above the port that feeds the carb. After I got this corrected I've only had one time where I had to clamp the return line in order to get enough fuel to the carb to start.

Question is, can I switch to a single in/single out fuel filter or will this send too much fuel to the carb and flood it? The other option I was looking at was to put a smaller diameter fuel line for the return in order to restrict the ease of flow back to the tank. In theory this should allow enough fuel to the carb w/o flooding it but still allow fuel to return to the tank if the fuel pump sends too much to the carb line. Any thoughts or advice would be great. TIA!!

• I am currently running a single in/out fuel filter, summit racing fuel pressure regulator, and a Weber carb. I ditched my stock filter with the return line and went to this setup a couple of years ago with no fuel problems since.

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• X2. Weber 32/36 Carb. Single in/out filter. With a cheap dial regulator from auto zone inline to the Carb. No issues going on over 3 years now...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!