TJ or JK Unlimited? little help?

• OK, so I'm in the market for a new jeep, and a couple options are presenting themselves....but I don't know which way to go, so i need some advice. I like to go wheeling, and I like the standard transmission...which leads to the TJ. But, I also would like to hit the beach and go camping with the wife, two kids, and a dog. Which leads to the JK unlimited. I'd like a bit of a rock Crawler.......bumpers, lift, winch, etc.....but I don't know if the Jk is suited for that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• A JK Unlimited is a big jump from an LJ. A LOT of cargo room, the back seat is much easier to access (amazing what 2 extra doors will do). Ground clearance suffers when it comes to breakover angle, but a lift can fix that easy enough. And while they may be harder to find, you can get a JKU with a manual transmission.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Go with the JKU, its got lots of room and is very capable. I might know of a 2007 6 speed that is built very well that might go up for sale if the price is right. PM if interested.

• Lol... I appreciate that Jeff, but the reason I'm looking is because I totalled my Jeep on the drive to San Antonio for military training. So....here I sit driving my brothers car with no ride home. I have about a month to get a new one before I have to be on the road back to de. The one they are selling was initially listed for just over 16k. Does that sound about right?

• A JK Unlimited is a big jump from an LJ. A LOT of cargo room, the back seat is much easier to access (amazing what 2 extra doors will do). Ground clearance suffers when it comes to breakover angle, but a lift can fix that easy enough. And while they may be harder to find, you can get a JKU with a manual transmission.

x2... I will eventually be looking into getting a JKU in the future. The space and accessability to it are great. The downside is that the cost of upgrading with after market parts is a bit pricey but that may only be b/c I'm used to the prices of upgrading the YJ.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Jk's are set up way better from the factory for "crawling" than TJ's..I personally like my JKU better than my TJ...it is way more comfortable on road and has way more comforts... As for price, if you find a JKU for 16k it is probably currently on fire...LJ pricing is not much better as that is what I initially wanted but I could not find a rubicon LJ for under 20k

• I do love my JKU, my problem is I am impatient. Just ask Aaron he will tell you. I want my 40 and dana 60's yesterday, I want my long arm and linked rear and my ORI's. I would say look for one that is built the way you like it, parts for the JKU are retarded so let some one else take the initial hit. They are poppin up every where for sale just look. 16K for a stock one or one that has minor mods sounds good if the miles are right and it doesnt have cheap lift etc.. Aside from the parts being expensive I love it, I can drive to the trails, wheel it and still drive it home. It drives nice for being lifted even my wife can drive it with no issues. The room is an added bonus, I was in the same boat when I bought mine. I wanted room for the kids plus gear, with the 4 doors there is room in the back and still trunk space, even with the on board air tanks in the back. Can't go wrong. Yes some people complain about the motor, take it for what it is, don't drive it like it's a sports car and its fine.

• Well, I lost out on the JKU. Turns out it had already been sold. So, I ended up with a 05 TJ with 65k miles on it. Now to start all over again since everything is stock. I'm thinking of starting with the 4 inch lift from Q-tec, and going from there. Thanks for the advice all. I'll post some shots if i can later on.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!