'53 Chevy Pick-up Rat Rod Lowrider - SOLD!

• Putting a feeler out. Thinking of selling my truck. 1953 Chevy 3800 with a VERY rare 9-foot bed. All original patina and door art. Truck has been lowered over a foot. Front suspension has a dropped axle, lowering springs, drop shackles, new shocks, kingpins, and disc brake conversion. Rear has axle flip, drop springs, and C-notch. The best part of this truck is that it retains the full bed floor. The C-notch comes up just to the bottom of the bed floor. Powertrain is a 1955 235ci inline-6 with two single barrel carbs, aluminum valve cover, side cover, aftermarket intake, header, wrapped dual exhaust. Trans is a 4-speed Saginaw with Hurst floor shifter. Truck is running great. Interior is in good shape with newer vinyl seat upholstery. I am just buttoning up all of the work necessary for inspection including, rear brake adjustment, all lights including head, tail, brake and turn signals, horn installation, electric wiper motor conversion, replaced broken passenger windshield glass with vintage piece. Truck has a very rare GM accessory front bumper with guard, as well as a vintage Uhaul tow hitch. The truck has a CD player mounted in the glovebox for tunes. 12v conversion. New wood bed floor. S&S hearse hubcaps. Custom built toolboxes. Model A taillights. Truck includes a bunch of spare parts, including running boards, bumper, front fender, door handles, and boxes of other parts. Contact me if interested. Thanks!

• Pretty cool, but just don't get the whole patina thing.. that is basically rust right? I still think it would look better painted... but then it looses "Rat" designation..

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• [size=0.7em]Found this... thought it was worth sharing.. [/size]

[size=3]Rat Rods: The Story [/size]
    A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car. In most cases, rat rods imitate or exaggerate the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Don’t confuse a rat rod with a “traditional” hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.
    Most rat rods appear unfinished with just the bare essentials to be driven. The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are not, meant to be shown off. Rat rods are built to drive. Sometimes the customizer will include using spare parts or parts from another type of car altogether.

The typical rat rod is an early 1930s through 1950s coupe or roadster. Early, pre-World War II hot rods often have their fenders, hoods, running boards, and bumpers removed. The bodies are frequently channeled over the frame, and sectioned, or the roofs chopped for a lower profile. Later post-war vehicles are rarely constructed without fenders and are often customized in the fashion of Kustoms, lead sleds, and low riders. Maltese crosses, skulls, and other accessories are often added. Chopped tops, shaved trim, grills, tail lights, and other miscellaneous body parts are swapped between makes and models. Most, if not all, of the work and engineering is done by the owner of the vehicle.

Many rat rods have primer-only paint jobs. Satin /matte black/hot rod black as well as other flat colors are also common. Other finishes may include “natural patina” (the original paint with rust and blemishes intact, appearing worn), a patchwork of original paint and primer, or bare metal with no finish at all in rusty or oiled varieties. Often these cars are unfinished to honor the the anti-restoration slogan that “it’s only original once”. Many rat rods also have free hand pin striping done by the owners with a pin striping brush. Contrary to tastes of
    many car builders, rust is often acceptable and appreciated by a rat rodder.
    The interiors of some rat rats can be completely finished to bare bones. Mexican blankets and bomber seats form the basis of many rat rod interiors. Most rat rod interiors are designed to be functional without many comforts.

There are disputes over the origin of the term “rat rod”. Some say it first appeared in an article written in Hot Rod Magazine by Gray Baskerville about cars that still sported a coat of primer. Some claim that the first official rat rod was owned by artist Robert Williams who had a ‘32 Ford Roadster that was painted in primer. Hot Rod magazine has since verified this. Although the term likely started out as derogatory or pejorative and is still used in this way by many, members of the subcultures that build and enjoy these cars have adopted the term in a positive light.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I love the patina look so long as its properly sealed
    and contained. I've seen many attempts where the
    rust continues to reek havoc despite huge amounts
    of work to the rest of the vehicle.

The low-rider thing is the turn off for me. I think this
    would be a truely awesome daily driver, but with that
    ground clearence I don't think it would be practical
    enough to justify the cost. I have a friend who loves
    rat rods though and I will pass this ad off to him.
    Good luck on the sale!

• Awesome.
    Drive it to the Jalopy Showdown drags at Beaver Springs Raceway(in Beaver Springs, PA) on September 29th. Rat Rods/ hot rods/ gasssers running the 1/8th mile, some running the 1/4. This would be right at home and maybe you could find a new home for it. I'll be there Friday-Sunday camping at the far end of the strip at the traps.

• Hey guys, just wanted to let any interested parties know that the truck is still available. I am very willing to negotiate price. I have been working on the truck a little every day to get everything buttoned up. The truck is insanely low compared to the factory, but ride height and ground clearance is comparable to any car on the road. I have just posted the truck on Craigslist with a ton of info. Any questions, PM me. Thanks!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!