kind of a dumb question

• well I finally took the jeep out for a drive with the new axles and brake upgrades. I did notice a difference in the braking.

since my jeep is mostly a daily driver I decided to install the slotted and drilled rotors to help with the braking duties.

I noticed a litile difference in over all speed with the 3.73's vs the 3.07's but not as much as i expected. did notice a big difference when i hammer the gas pedal.....

I got the rotors from ebay if anyone is interested I can pass on the info.

thanks for all the input..

• 3.73 is a good ratio all around. Of course that depends on the tire size.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Are the new rotors noticeably lighter than the old? Are they made of the same material? Someone on the CJforum of JU had drilled his drums with a bunch of holes and I believe he also reported an improvement. With drums it probably gives water a place to escape and helps in drying the drum.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I am running 33" tires.. I have a 6cyl with auto. If it was strickly an off road jeep I would of went with 4.10's.

also running k&n fipk, accel ignition, flowmaster exhaust.

the shipping weight of the new rotors was 22lbs. not sure what the old ones weighed.

• I'm glad you like the new rotors taz. I will be put 4 new ones on my tow rig soon since I tow with a Dakota. Keith I'm not sure where your coming from but your background did not involve racing did it? I really didn't know most of the theories covered in this thread but I could tell you there is a felt difference in drilled/slotted rotors and after destroying several sets of regular rotors on a few cars we bought the (fancy ones) and that stopped happening and lap times went up. Speed makes every characteristic in a vehicle more noticable including brakes but fast or slow brakes create heat/gas and the (fancy rotors) will help out. I figured this out by watching people who knew more than me and trial and error. Applied vs. Learned knowledge = No contest. I'm not sure if the tone of your post was intentional so I'm just replying in kind.

• Tom- there's plenty of theory out there on the out-gassing issues and all that. And as you said, most of that is only going to enter into the equation at the track. Out-gassing is not going to be a concern on a Jeep going down any hill with any size tires.

I will certainly concede that QUALITY slotted/drilled rotors will not hurt braking performance any noticable amount. Quite often the cheap ones only last a short time before they crack though.

We really don't know each other, but I've read enough of your posts to realize you aren't a dummy, and I certainly didn't intend my post to sound like I was suggesting that. It was more of a tongue in cheek type comment.

Here's a page that answers a lot of these questions fairly well, although it's based around the LR Discovery, the theory certainly applies to modified Jeeps as well.

http://www.disco2.com/faq/faq-answer.phtml?uid=99

Most people that buy the drilled rotors also buy better pads and feel a difference so it must be the rotors too, right ?

Just going to carbon metallic pads will make a marked difference on a trail/DD Jeep.

Tom, again no harm intended. :peace:

• Having used all three types of rotors on my fast cars - stock, slotted, drilled - I will preach the benefits of the latter two all day long. The advantages all around are enormous at speed. However, I've seen cheap cross drilled rotors snap like saltine crackers under force so I would seriously reconsider taking these on a trail. For driving around delaware I doubt it would make much of an issue.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!