New 2010 Wrangler and GOV'T Regs....

• I heard today Jeep was going with IFS on the new Wrangler. I got a buddy that is a engineer for Diamler Chyrsler Jeep. He said the GOV'T was getting on them about Wranglers flipping and having a rough ride and that they were giving SUV's a bad rap. So now they have to equip the new ones with IFS and make it much wider. He said it is going to look like a hummer and be really heavy b/c the GOV'T was getting on them about crash test rating being so low. He said to look for it to come out in 2010. He also said the GOV'T might put into law that no solid axle conversions will be able to be done. Looks like a sad day for the off-road world. The GOV'T is cracking down on all SUV makers. :doh:

April Fools!!!!! A mean one and that's all I could come up with. :laughing:

• NOT FUNNY :anger: You almost had me in tears :sad:

Since Jeeps were around long before the term "SUV", it wouldn't seem fair.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• That SUV term is such a mis-nomer. I guess it depends on what you consider "Utility".

Nothing was more of a utility vehicle then the early Ag-Jeeps after WWII. With PTO operated attachments such as winches, post hole diggers, trench diggers, snow blowers, tillers......how could it be anything BUT a utility vehicle?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had to put SUV. The GOV'T knows nothing more than SUV. They probably don't even know what off-roading is. Probably think its an accident.

• hehehe my jeep is labeled as a station wagon and the insurance is SOOOO much cheaper

Michael Slotwinski (SLINKY)
    1993 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
    http://www.firststatecorvairclub.com
    1999 Powerwheels Babrie Jeep Currently driven by my daughter
    Hey you were at the WalMart Speed Bump Climb in 1999? you were the one with the winch, right?

• Quote from "DrJ"

If my new bottle opener makes my YJ a "utility" vehicle, I'm taking it off.

DrJ

:spinrhead: :rollsmile: :laughing: I don't think that counts. That just makes it more capable in rough terrain when running back to camp for the bottle opener is out of the question.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!