Jeep battery

• Float chargers keep an eye on the charge of the battery. When the voltage drops to I believe 10 volts the charger kicks in and charges it to peak which is 14.2. A good charger will also have a battery maintance option. This will discharge your battery then fully recharges it to full peak voltage. It is not normally needed unless your jeep sits for more then 6 months. This is the biggest killer of batteries when they sit and the voltage isn't maintained...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• I am going to be gone for 6 weeks, do I really need to put a charger on the battery. I may have the Diehard Platinum installed before I leave. My garage is well insulated.

• I am going to be gone for 6 weeks, do I really need to put a charger on the battery. I may have the Diehard Platinum installed before I leave. My garage is well insulated.

Tell ya what, if you wanna drive it up and drop it off at my house I will drive it around a bit and make sure the battery stays charged. :innocent: Why don't you wait til you get back to replace the battery? Is it a DD or will it be a bit before you leave out for your trip?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I think we may be over-complicating this. Does your Jeep have a slow drain on the electrical system now? If it does not, swap in a new battery and you'll be fine letting sit for extended periods without any sort of charger installed. Even if you do have a slight drain on the system, you can just disconnect your battery and you're good to go. I've parked my Jeep for more than 90 days a number of times with the battery connected and it has always fired right up. The same with Erica's Jeep. She initially had a crappy yellow-top Optima that wouldn't hold a charge for more than 3 weeks, but once we swapped it out for another battery it's been fine to let sit as long as we wish.

FWIW, she has an Advanced Auto branded battery I have the Sears Diehard Platinum.

• No slow drain. I am on my way to Sears in Seafod to pick up the Die Hard Platinum. sales guy said no problem for 6 weeks or even longer. Thanks for all of the advice.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!