Jeep battery

• Went to start the Joop over the weekend, battery was dead, been on the charger since Tuesday, not taking a charge. What does everyone recommend for a replacement? I was thinking Optima or the gel Diehard since it sits a lot but I've heard the Optimas aren't that great any more. :shrug:

• I have a Optima Red Top and no problems at all. I was sick and it sat for a week and fired up with no problem Qtec Pt#17003.01 with disc I paid $172.00

• I did have 1 optima go bad and found out it wasn't the same as the 1st one I got.The1st is still my 2nd batt in the YJ (8yrs old and it jumped the bad batt till I replaced it)the one that went bad was a lower CCA.the one I got from Qtec was identical to the jumpstart batt.Stomper just put one in the loader he has.Can't say any bad about Diehard my dad ran them for years.Just stay away from Pep Boys batterys!!!When I did AAA road service 90% of the jumpstarts I did were bad Pep Boys batterys.I wouldn't use them in a lawn mower!

• The battery that's in there is a Pep Boys battery. Can't complain about the service it gave for the life it led. Have to check out Advance and the battery warehouse in Dover. Got a battery for my bike there last year and it fired right up :). Thanks for the info guys.

• Well, I've done a lot of research on this topic so I can offer some info for those looking. First off, Optima batteries are no longer good. There was a lot of rumors about them being made from China and such ever since Johnson Controls bought them out. This is true. There has been a number of reports of folks that have purchased them and not getting a year out of them. Yes they are warrantied but who wants to keep switching out batteries or worst die on the trail? Not me.

So I went to Tri-State Battery since it's by my shop. I talked to the fellas there for about an hour about the different types of batteries they offer. They sell the Optima batteries and do not recommend them anymore. If you take your jeep off road, a wrench, or a lot of access. they have a great battery for you. It's cheaper then the Optima and has a better CCA and warranty. I believe it is 3 years it may be 4 and Optima I think is only 2 now and Pro-rated. The other battery that Tri-State offers and recommend is NOT pro-rated meaning they will replace the battery during the warranty period for full value. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the battery. It started with a D and is used in most off road sport utilities such as dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, snow mobiles and ect.

I would check them out. They are cheaper then any other source I have checked and your getting a much better battery for your money.

Just my .02...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• It's Deka. I bought one from them around 08-ish and it didn't last two years. I wouldn't buy another one and wasn't impressed.

• The sears platinum is a top of the line AGM battery with one of the best warranties around.
    With Free replacement for four years and another four years pro-rated.

Warranties & Coverage:
    Free Replacement Warranty Term: 48 Months
    Months in Use Pro Rated Replacement: 100

• X2 on Optimas sucking since they were bought by Johnson Controls...the 'old' ones kicked ass but I've had two since and both have died <2 yrs (second was a warranty for the first). Unfortunately I also had the same experience with the Deka AGM battery and its warranty replacement so I went to a Diehard Platinum and haven't had an issue since. In fact that battery is now 4yrs old and has been sitting in the garage since last feb and I'd bet $$ it'll still fire up. I haven't seen 100% proof but most conjecture that the DH Plats are rebadged Odyssey's.

--Ian

• I'm guessing I may have one of the older gen red tops by Optima. It's about 2.5 years old and the only 2 times I've killed it were leaving the lights on once and cranking it till it wouldn't crank anymore. I've been impressed with it so far. With all the reviews of these new ones Ill be skeptical of getting another in the future.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I haven't seen 100% proof but most conjecture that the DH Plats are rebadged Odyssey's.

--Ian

I have an xs power agm, which is probably also a rebadged odyssey, on my 7. It is about half the size of a "normal" battery, weighs maybe 25 pounds, has been run dead multiple times, was used to pull a 7,000 pound jeep through Moab running a warn 8274 for 10 hours straight, and sometimes sits for 6 months at a time.

Pretty much everything "bad" you can do to a battery. Still doing fine after 6 years. Imagine if it were bigger than atv size!!

Pro tip: if you get an agm battery, get an agm charger if you plan to charge it at home. They charge with a different charging profile, and a good agm charger will actually help condition the battery, the come back much better than lead acid.

• Pro tip: if you get an agm battery, get an agm charger if you plan to charge it at home. They charge with a different charging profile, and a good agm charger will actually help condition the battery, the come back much better than lead acid.

Otherwise, you have to put a good battery in parallel before the one you are trying to charge to bring it back properly.

Like this: Charger-->"Good Battery"-->Dead AGM battery

Troof hurts. :razz:

I caught that as well. The "7000 lbs." cracked me up too. :laughing:

• Troof hurts. :razz:

I caught that as well. The "7000 lbs." cracked me up too. :laughing:

Base TJ + one ton axles + 17 inch rims made of 1 inch plate + 15 square yards of 3/16th steel plate "armor" weighs enough...

its when you add the Snap-On tool truck, shop quality continuous duty air with 40 gallons of reserve tanks, enough fluids for an entire fluid change on a D8 Cat Dozer (just in case) and enough spare parts to build a "mini-me" Jeep it really starts to get heavy :razz:

Until break something and I need the mobile tool truck/napa store. Then it all seems like a really good idea :doh:

• Base TJ + one ton axles + 17 inch rims made of 1 inch plate + 15 square yards of 3/16th steel plate "armor" weighs enough...

its when you add the Snap-On tool truck, shop quality continuous duty air with 40 gallons of reserve tanks, enough fluids for an entire fluid change on a D8 Cat Dozer (just in case) and enough spare parts to build a "mini-me" Jeep it really starts to get heavy :razz:

Until break something and I need the mobile tool truck/napa store. Then it all seems like a really good idea :doh:

MmmHmmm...we'll see if it isn't lighter soon w/o OBA and minimizing the spares, etc. Now that I've beat the piss out of the drivetrain for awhile and found it pretty stout for 'little' 37's I'm confident enough to leave most at home (or at least in the truck). I'm down a few pounds already as I didn't bother replenishing the few qts of PS fluid that someone found handy... :razz:

--Ian

• I want to replace the battery on my 03 Rubi. Looks like the general consensus for the best choice is the Die Hard Platinum. I went on line and plugged in my Jeep and the recommendation was the platinum 34/78DT & 34 Battery Group size. What do those sizes mean. Both cost the same (pricey) but the 34 got a slightly higher rating. Reviews were very positive and it was preferred by owners who have lots of power toys unlike my Jeep. The price includes trading my old battery. Does Sears install it for free. Also, I will be going to Fla. for 6 weeks so do I need to disconnect it or use a trickle charger.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!