Battery charging tips

• My 18-month old TJ battery has died, but I'm hopeful that a good charge will bring it back. (It looks like the power inverter under the passenger seat was accidentally turned on, and the TJ has been driven in a week.) I have an Exide charger that gives me some options. I'm attempting to charge it with the battery in place, though I have taken off the positive lead and cleaned both the clamp and the post.

I know not to use the 50A setting; that's for a quick "emergency" charge. But should I use the 2A or the 10A option? I'd like to go with the 10 amp setting, but I'm not sure if there's a down side to that. Is the 2A actually enough juice to charge it? Would like to have the battery back to normal by tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Thanks! Will try the 2A first. Was thinking maybe with the battery still connected to the electrical system, the amps would be somehow diffused and not fully focused on the battery. We'll see...

• Best way to charge a battery is with the low amp setting and let it go for 8 hours or so.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• 2x on slow charge. When I would find I left my lights on. Would oftwn do a 10 amp charge for for 10-15 min switch to 50 amp amd start . But I also jad a good warranty B-) also with a small MC or tractor bat... Never exceed 2 amps.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Followup: I did heed Quadna's advice and put it on 10A for a few minutes, and then overnight it charged at 2A. This morning the TJ fired up fine. Thanks for the input. :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!