DE surf tag in Middletown/Smyrna area?

• Nice. I'm there tomorrow for sure.

Another question....I have a 2012 JKU and the only jack I currently own is the stock jack that came with the Jeep. Will that be sufficient with a piece of plywood (12X12), 2X8, or 4X4 to get me out of the sand (obviously with a shovel and having deflated)? Or do I need to buy a bottle jack?

• Yeah you should be fine... honestly I don't air down... but that's my preference I got big flotat ion tires...but they do check for boards shovels jacks... tow strap stuff like that... you only get stuck if you get stupid out there... I stay in 4 high until june july then use 4lo because the sand gets really fine due to heat. But air down to you know your jeep and understand how it works in the sand.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• I used to deflate my stock wheels and tires, I never came close to getting stuck. I usually go to Cape Henlopen which sees plenty of traffic during the summer so the sand gets abused. Now that I'm running 35s, I don't deflate and am still fine....

• Just saw you have a unlimited... you better air down they are heavier then my yj by far.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• i'm running the JK on stock and will air down for sure. do NOT want to get stuck. probably going to Cape Henlopen. Thinking i can run in 4H but we will see. i used to beach it in my 2004 explorer and had tow strap, jack, shovel, 2X6, and fishing gear. do i need anything else these days?

• Just saw you have a unlimited... you better air down they are heavier then my yj by far.

Maybe not...my JK on stock tires (not aired down) was fine up at Henlopen every time I went out....but I buried it once down at IRI. The sand was soft that day though. I used to use 4L when it was stock.

I am spoiled by my MTR's on the sand now. It's cheating. ;) :driving:

• do i need anything else these days?

Other than the fishing pole, you are way ahead of me. One time I had to show a ranger a kids shovel for a shovel, no board, some ratchet straps for tow strap, etc. I didn't even have bait.

He was visibly pissed, but being it was winter and he'd seen me out there plenty of times before, so he let me go. Not my proudest moment and I've changed my ways (a little) but the moral of the story is get all of your gear and attempt to fish and the rangers are usually pretty cool. ;)

• My camping shovel is so rusted bill I use it for a bottle opener because I can't open it haha. And i use my jack boars as a bait board. But in all seriousness I would use four low till you get used to driving out there. And have fun at fenwick if you go there... thier crossings bow bad... I almost got stuck there and I consider myself a pro at driving on sand.

• Shovel at walmart $1.99, Board, tow strap, jack, free. Surf tag 2 year=$$$$ :doh: . Just be sure you are "fishing". My friend was popped last season for not having a pole in the drink ( fishing).
    Cant wait till the stripers start to bite.........Cape henelopen and 3R are good spots.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!