"Near" Fatal crash causes delays on Del. 1 southbound (Jeep Involved)

• http://www.delawareonline.com/…s-delays-Del-1-southbound-

A crash on Del. 1 southbound this afternoon has left a person dead and is causing heavy delays just north of US 40.
    The crash happened at about 1:15 p.m. and involved a Jeep and a car.

State police Cpl. John Day said motorists should avoid Del. 1 in that area at this time.

No other details yet on the accident that I could find. Prayers for the friends and family of the person killed.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• It doesn't mention who was killed. The Jeep looks intact but if they weren't wearing a seat belt, the lack of doors and top could have caused an ejection.

I'll keep an eye out for updates. So sad. ;( ;( ;(

• Steering wheel looks tweaked to the passenger side... They show a short video on DEONLINE now...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• The updated article stated that the person originally thought to have dies was resuscitated. At Christiana Hospital in critical condition. Still doesn't say which driver though.

• Troopers Investigate Crash with Injuries on Route 1by Delaware State Police News Room (Notes) on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 6:52pmDSP News Release: Troopers Investigate Crash with Injuries on Route 1

Location: Delaware Route 1 southbound, north of U.S. Route 40

Date and Time of Occurrence: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 1:09 p.m.

Vehicles and Occupants:

[li]Operator 1: James T. Holland, 54, of New Castle, DE (properly restrained, admitted to Christiana Hospital in critical condition)[/li]
      [li]Vehicle 1: 1995 Jeep Wrangler[/li]

[li]Operator 2: Michael P. Sterrett, 19, of Middletown, DE (properly restrained, treated at Christiana Hospital for a head injury)[/li]
      [li]Vehicle 2: 1998 Audi A4[/li]
      [li]Passenger: Robert F. Dina, 19, of Bear, DE (properly restrained, treated at Christiana Hospital for minor injuries)[/li]
      [li]Passenger: Patrick S. Baum, 19, of Bear, DE (properly restrained, treated at Christiana Hospital for minor injuries)[/li]
      [li]Passenger: Douglas M. DiSabatino, 19, of Bear, DE (properly restrained, admitted to Christiana Hospital in critical condition)[/li]

Resume:Bear- A crash on Delaware Route 1 left two people in critical condition today. The incident occurred at 1:09 p.m. as a 1995 Jeep Wrangler, for an undetermined reason, traveled backwards on southbound Route 1, north of U.S. Route 40. The rear of the Jeep struck the driver's side of a southbound 1998 Audi A4, sending both vehicles off of the roadway. Witnesses to the crash and emergency medical responders performed CPR on the driver of the Jeep, James T. Holland, 54, of New Castle. He was resuscitated and transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital, where he was admitted in critical condition. The driver of the Audi, Michael P. Sterrett, 19, of Middletown, was transported to Christiana Hospital by ambulance, where he received treatment for a head injury. Two passengers in his vehicle, Robert F. Dina and Patrick S. Baum, both 19 and from Bear, were transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital where they were treated for minor injuries. A third passenger in the Audi, Douglas M. DiSabatino, 19, of Bear, was transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital and admitted in critical condition. The occupants of both vehicles were properly restrained at the time of the crash. The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing its investigation into the events leading up to this crash, and its cause. Southbound Route 1 experienced lane closures for approximately two hours as Troopers investigated and cleared the crash. Released: 052813 1845 The Jeep driver was driving backwards ?

• That's unfortunate, I can say that being on the road all day everyday for work you see it more than not, somebody missed an exit and decides to back a mile down the road to get to the exit they missed, I even saw a BMW convertible stop in the middle of the lanes on 202 by King of Prussia/Devon (3 lanes wide) and back into oncoming traffic while the passenger jumped out to retrieve his hat that blew off. Sometimes people do strange things for unknown reasons

• I'll bet the top was on the side of the road because it came off and he was backing up to get it. Warm weather = hard top off and soft top on, sometimes people forget to secure thing properly.

• **Edited title for accuracy.

Yeah, I've seen some crazy drivers on the road making not-so-brilliant manuevers. Amazes me what some people do while in a vehicle. Not sure what prompted the guy in the Jeep to kick it in reverse on Rt 1 but hopefully everyone's ok. :up: :up:

• A trauma code is bad. Hopefully he is OK. When I worked as a coroner in PA I had a call to a Jeep with three teens all ejected at the scene. Alcohol was involved and very sad. Hate to see things like this.

• I feel bad for this individual but at the same time do not understand why they would ride in a Jeep with no doors and presumably not wear a seat belt. It is like the cyclists who ride without a helmet. I had a serious crash on my bike last July and the ER Doc said my helmet saved my life.

• I feel bad for this individual but at the same time do not understand why they would ride in a Jeep with no doors and presumably not wear a seat belt. It is like the cyclists who ride without a helmet. I had a serious crash on my bike last July and the ER Doc said my helmet saved my life.

The update said that the parties of both vehicles were properly restrained at the time of the accident.

• A 54-year-old New Castle man involved in a two-vehicle crash in Bear on Tuesday died late Wednesday of his injuries, police said today.He was identified as James T. Holland, Cpl. John Day said.

He was the driver of the Jeep.

http://www.delawareonline.com/…crash-Bear?nclick_check=1

Very sad... prayers to his family.

They are now describing the details, and I dont get it... the Jeep was traveling "Backwards"?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• What a shame. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

They are now describing the details, and I dont get it... the Jeep was traveling "Backwards"?

Only thing I can surmise from the given details is that the Jeep was on the left hand shoulder or lane and backing down the road for whatever reason. He probably got to close to or over the dividing line and then struck the other vehicle. It says that the rear of the Jeep struck the front driver's side of the car. One or both had to be going at a pretty good clip (as most driver's do on Rt.1) for them to end up so far off into the grass. The area in the pic is between the Rt. 40 on-ramp and the 273 exit.

I'd like to know if the witnesses were someone other than the driver/passengers in the other car involved. My first thought gut reaction was there's 4 teenagers in a sporty little Audi racing down Rt.1 at break-neck speeds. They come up fast on the Jeep who's in the left hand lane. The Audi attempts to pass the Jeep on the right but the driver of the Jeep saw them coming up fast and also attempts to get into the right hand lane to get out of their way. The distance closes too fast and the Audi hits the Jeep sending them both careening into the grass with enough momentum to send them to the far side of the culvert/drainageway. Teenagers make up a cover story to cover their behinds...... :shrug:

Wasn't there so I'm just speculating... but something doesn't add up here. And as Judge Judy says, "If the story doesn't add up, it's probably not truthful."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!