OBA for JK opinions please

• Looking into an OBA setup for the JK. i have a CO2 setup, but dont like rolling around with a 800+ PSI tank in the back. Im looking for something i can put a 2.5 gallon tank, fill it up when needed, and leave empty most of the time.

ive been looking at VIair setups, and my main question is 33% dutycycle, or 100% Main use would be airing up tires, (15psi-33PSI) so i would guess either would be fine?

looking at an engine bay mount (brake booster bracket) so engine heat on the compressor leads me to lean to the 100%

tank under the cargo flap of the JK

anyone have experience with the electric compressors? should i just stick with CO2? dont want to get into a belt driven York (and i dont think there is room for it)

• I've got 2 Viair compressors sitting in my garage, no clue how long I've had them. One is 100% @ 1.6CFM (450 series) and the other is 33% @ 2.4CFM (300 series). If it's just for filling up your own tires, either will be fine. But for giving air to friends to refill their tires, too... then a continuous would help (plus the tank). I put in the first order for the brake booster mount mount for the 3.6L motor, but as per my usual... it's still in my garage. I need to get to it soon, I want OBA for my Colorado trip. My holdup is really wanting to figure out what to do about a tank.

Most 2 dr JKs seem to put the tank under the rear end, after swapping out the OEM muffler for something smaller. But, I haven't done that yet. So, do I buy a new muffler to fit a 2.5 gal hotdog tank (which I already have), or just use quick connect fittings and run direct from the compressor.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• let me know if you decide to sell your co2

not going to sell it. i use it as my poor mans quiet compressor in the garage of my townhouse. don't have enough room for a compressor, and for the quick die-grinder/impact jobs i do it is perfect.

• I would focus on CFM and noise of the compressor mainly, and wouldn't accept anything less than 100% continuous duty. If you really want air, you kind of want both OBA and CO2, they both have their unique pros and cons. I didn't really want to lug a ton of stuff around when I was evaluating using air or electric for different tools. For airing up tires for the road trip home, RC has a compressor, gas stations have available air not too far, and the beach has free air too. I couldn't justify it for myself.

• I would focus on CFM and noise of the compressor mainly, and wouldn't accept anything less than 100% continuous duty. If you really want air, you kind of want both OBA and CO2, they both have their unique pros and cons. I didn't really want to lug a ton of stuff around when I was evaluating using air or electric for different tools. For airing up tires for the road trip home, RC has a compressor, gas stations have available air not too far, and the beach has free air too. I couldn't justify it for myself.

agree with the pros/cons with both. for refilling after rausch, i prefer CO2, due to speed, and the ability to set a bead if needed...a 2.5 gallon tank will help that, but it's a one shot deal. i dont like to rely on anyone's air (rausch, beach, gas station) due to the people out there that cut the hoses, amount of quarters i may or may not have, I like to be prepared.

• How big is your CO2 tank? If size is the concern then maybe trade down to a 5# bottle that can be easily strapped to a roll bar. Or maybe even get creative and fit some of the larger 20oz CO2 bottles used in paintballing with the necessary fittings to adapt to a tire chuck. You wouldn't get any tool use out of it but I'm sure two of the little bottles would be more than enough to top off your tires. Plus side is they fill them up for dirt cheap at any paintball shop.

• How big is your CO2 tank? If size is the concern then maybe trade down to a 5# bottle that can be easily strapped to a roll bar. Or maybe even get creative and fit some of the larger 20oz CO2 bottles used in paintballing with the necessary fittings to adapt to a tire chuck. You wouldn't get any tool use out of it but I'm sure two of the little bottles would be more than enough to top off your tires. Plus side is they fill them up for dirt cheap at any paintball shop.

i have a 5, 10 and 20lb (homebrew kegging , powertank and redneck air compressor) ) thought about swapping out the 10 for the 5...but the idea of tucking the air tank out of the cargo area is appealing to me. that way it's with me anywhere the jeep is, and if i need to hit up a side job, i have enough air for a quick prep job.

• I use an air tank like you would see on a fire fighters SCBA. I run down to my local FD and they will refill it for me. I give them a couple bucks a year for doing that. I also I'm looking at adding a Viar system and will be going with the 100% duty cycle.

• If you needed a winch you could get the Warn Powerplant. I love mine

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• If you needed a winch you could get the Warn Powerplant. I love mine

We actually used a warn power plant to set a bead on my 39.5" Pitbull Rocker at Big Dogs last weekend. Was a challenge but we did it. I was impressed, especially since both sides were off the bead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!