Welp, I bought a camera

• [size=9pt]When I was looking at the specs and use of the various cameras out there today I was amazed at the size of the sensors they are starting to fit in the compact cameras. My last cameras were a 20D (crop APS-C 1.6 factor) and a 5D (full frame or 35mm), so it was the semi-pro line and I started getting tired of its bulkiness. It was a pain to bring a backpack with me anywhere I went and if I went off roading it would become annoying to have to get out of my seat to reach in the back when I want to snap a pic of the trail, just to have to pack it all away again. Using the smartphone camera has been a blessing.[/size]
    [size=9pt][/size]
    [size=9pt][/size][size=9pt]So with upcoming vacation getaways I decided it was prudent (and impulsive) to buy a camera - but not so impulsive with Best Buy's 0% financing [/size] :mrgreen: . My absolute requirements were convenience, I'd have to be able to bring it with me anywhere without ever thinking "I don't know if I want to carry this". So I set out looking at the high end compact cameras. My reasoning was that the lower end cameras don't offer enough of a difference from my smartphone camera to warrant even their cheap price. I started looking at waterproof cameras, but since I wasn't going to take up scuba diving and start snapping pics of fish, I ended up leaving them out of the comparison altogether, as their specs don't quite match up to some of the similarly priced non-waterproof cameras.

[font=verdana, sans-serif]I bought the Canon S110, but took about 1 - 1.5 hours in Best Buy deciding between that and the Canon G1 X. The S110 won because it's just about smaller than my iPhone 5 and can slide in my pocket, but the G1 X offers such an amazingly large sensor and still is about the size of my hand, just wouldn't fit in my pocket.[/font]

[font=verdana, sans-serif]Here are some sensor size comparisons from wikipedia: [/font]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format measured in square milimeters

iphone 5: 15
    S110: 45
    G1 X: 250
    APS-C: 330
    Full Frame: 860

I snapped some pics while in the store:

G1 X (large sensor for a compact):

S110 (pocket size):

Nikon AW100 (waterproof):

The S110 has 5x Image Stabilisation and stores in both RAW and JPG formats. 24-120mm effective focal range and 10fps or 2.1 fps depending on which mode. It also has wifi. Not too shabby.

The G1 X is similarly equipped, has GPS, and a hot shoe for mounting an external flash. is equivalent to 28-112mm and has 2 more megapixels (12 vs 14).

The straight up spec comparison isn't as important to me as the form factor. From playing around with the S110 a little on the couch last night, it offers control of over every aspect that I'm used to from the semi-pro line, just not as many buttons or dials to reach it easier. I have full auto mode, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, and even custom settings. It also takes movies so I have some extra scene settings and video recording settings. I can change iso, shutter speed, aperture, exposure, and it offers a touch screen to scroll through photos and even try to set a focal point (I think). I was able to take a few pictures with the shutter at 1 second without blurr, and the noise isn't noticable even at 3200, at 6400 you could tell and at 12800 it was like a smartphone.

I'm not expecting the same color - dynamic range, contrast, even noise and bokeh from the S110 than I would from the G1 X, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts. BTW, I'm looking at the Nikon counterparts just as much, the rival to the Canon S110 (Nikon P7700 I didn't spend the time to find) and the rival to the Canon G1 X (Nikon A) has even a larger sensor but is also more expensive.

• I really like Canon's EOS M, but can't look past the lack of an optical or electronic viewfinder. Looking at the screen on my iPhone is one thing, but I like having a viewfinder when using a legitimate camera.

I'd also run through some of the Canon forums to see what quality of pictures others are grabbing with each model. The Canon website normally has one canned photo, but you'll see real life experience by others on POTN. Lastly, there's something "flat" about point and shoot pictures once you've used a DSLR. It sort of sucks, as it makes you reluctant to use your P/S anymore. We have a Canon 990IS that takes great 14.7mp photos, but it just collects dust now :(

Small compact digitals - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

G-series digital cameras - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

• I know exactly what you mean about them looking "flat" in comparison to a DSLR, and I'm expecting just that. All of the features and IS and ISO ability will really make it a better choice than the smartphone camera, but I know there will have to be some sacrifices when looking for that kind of color. I think the G1 X could easily fit in say my GF's purse or the glove box of the Jeep so I could still take it around, but it's still not pocket size. Hard for me to get over the S110 being pocket size. I'm not really going to start "photography" and leave my house for the purpose of taking photographic photos, so the S110 fits, but I figured if I wanted to get back into it, with the S110 I'd be wanting more, but with the G1 X I probably wouldn't. I leave Saturday morning for vacation, the $100 off sale for the G1 X ends tomorrow, and I have 15 days to return the S110 if I don't like it. As someone who went from a crop sensor with third party lenses to a full frame with the "L" lenses, I'm all about the specs, but I think I'd be just as happy with a newer crop sensor and an all in one this time around. Which is why I'm focusing on the compact size more than anything. I've found that framing the photo and focusing on the right spot is more important than any other feature of the camera.

I'm glad you pointed out the EF-M, I had stumbled on it a while back but completely overlooked it yesterday. I'll check out those links.

• I've been considering picking up a Samsung Galaxy NX camera. Mirrorless, runs Android, has a bunch of stuff I don't understand which sounds impressive, wifi or LTE connnectivity and did I mention it runs Android? It's basically a smartphone and "real" camera mashed together.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/0…alaxy-nx-camera-hands-on/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/…amsung-galaxy-nx-hands-on

• I have been looking at the S110 and the G12 or G15 for the purpose of taking one on a scuba/sailing trip next year. Let me know how you like them. The waterproof cases for them are almost as much as the camera ($300-$400) but are a lot cheaper then the waterproof case for my DSLR ($2000+).

• Well, I think I made the best choice for a "vacation" camera with the S110. It took absolutely better photos than any smartphone and was easy to carry around and use. Having the control to set how it meters light, choosing a flash or not, setting iso, and setting the flash exposure really helped any usual shortcomings of point and shoots.

You're welcome to view the entire album on FB: https://www.facebook.com/media…06987&type=1&l=201c44197a

But, to point out a few favorites ...

As we all know beach pictures can be difficult with the bright sun and sky, but I set the flash exposure to +2 [stops] and handed the camera to a guy on the beach and I think the picture came out great ... pulled in the sky and everything ... no post processing at all:

Inside a bar I thought this picture in "handheld night mode" came out great, no post processing:

Outside at night, this picture was originally very dark, but with changing the grey tones in iPhoto I was able to make it all out, and even lightened the shadows (losing a lot of contrast and maybe some overall appeal), but I was able to keep a lot of detail in her dress and the restaurant's structure and signs:

Original:

More detail but flat:

Lil more contrast:

Still kind of interested to see if I can get creative with the full manual (or even Tv and Av modes) ...

• Thought I would show a comparison between the compact camera and a smartphone. I have very poor lighting in my living room.

iPhone 5 (with lifeproof case)

1/15 f/2.4 ISO 800

Canon PowerShot S110

1/50 F/2 ISO 3200

I might've used the wrong auto mode on the s110 but in either case the noise and graininess from the iphone is the giveaway. I used the "enhance" button in iPhoto on both pics which is really an auto levels and it lightened up some shadows. Then I adjusted the temperature. The iPhone had the WB all wrong.

Mind boggling what those real cameras can do :)

• Here's a quick comparison in low light between my iPhone 5 (HDR mode) and my Canon EOS M. There are no lights on in the office and just the light of the monitor with this thread up is what's illuminating the glasses. The iPhone takes great well-lit photos but in low light it's no comparison.

iPhone 5
    [img width=1200 height=898]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=42793[/img]

EOS M
    [img width=1200 height=857]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=42796[/img]

I only have a 22mm lens on the EOS M so there's a lot of foot zoom involved, but I equate it to an updated polaroid of sorts ;D

• Sum Ting Wong! You went to Pep Boys!! LOL

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• haha, yeah wasn't planning on posting those pictures when I took them, but yes I went to pep boys (battery test).

The wifi built into the camera is actually more convenient than I originally gave it credit. I wouldn't do a bulk transfer as usb would be much faster, but it's very convenient when all you want to do was send a message (or even FB post) quickly on the phone and you can't make the picture out. I snapped it with my camera, hit the button to send to my phone (connected to wifi at my house), and then it was on my phone. Much easier than grabbing a cable and loading the photo organizer etc.

• The main reason for the difference in the shots is that most phones , especially the ones without a built in flash have to use a high ISO to get the light, but high ISO = Grainy. And in ambient light, it can be pretty bad.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• The main reason for the difference in the shots is that most phones , especially the ones without a built in flash have to use a high ISO to get the light, but high ISO = Grainy. And in ambient light, it can be pretty bad.

That is mostly true (given the same camera), but as faster processors come out in cameras, they can process better algorithms that add light without the noise and ill effects. For instance, in the photos I posted, the iPhone used ISO 800 and the S110 used ISO 3200, which means the iPhone used the "speed of the film" to add in 8 times the amount of light in the scene, and the S110 added in 32 times the amount of light in the scene, but it's much cleaner. The S110 has a digic 5 processor in it, my previous 20D had a digic 3 processor in it, and gave clean iso at 400.

I could find the originals if it matters, but they were very dark, much too dark to see on the screen of the phone for the iphone, which is why I picked up the S110. Both the iPhone and S110 have built in flashes, too. When I tried to use the flash on the iphone, you couldn't make anything out in the center of the frame and the colors were completely distorted.

As Chris pointed out (and showed us with his EOS M), if you marvel at being able to see every strand of hair on someone's head or how the colors pop, you need to get the bigger camera.

• Agree, but if you took the same pictures under bright natural light out door, the camera phone would look much better.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!