Grease fitting broken off

• I just noticed that a grease fitting on the underside of one of my front control arms has broken off, leaving half of it threaded in. I wasn't able to budge it with a small screwdriver. What's the technique for backing out a broken off fitting? Is there a special tool? (I plan on going to the fishing tournament, so if there's a special tool and you've got it and are going also on Saturday, please bring it! Will do some surgery right there on the sand.)

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I just noticed that a grease fitting on the underside of one of my front control arms has broken off, leaving half of it threaded in. I wasn't able to budge it with a small screwdriver. What's the technique for backing out a broken off fitting? Is there a special tool? (I plan on going to the fishing tournament, so if there's a special tool and you've got it and are going also on Saturday, please bring it! Will do some surgery right there on the sand.)

A small easy out might do the trick, but I have also seen them break. Worst case you drill it out, re-tap for a slightly larger size fitting. Just be sure to clean out the filings.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• A small easy out might do the trick, but I have also seen them break. Worst case you drill it out, re-tap for a slightly larger size fitting. Just be sure to clean out the filings.

Gotcha...thanks! I didn't realize they made Easy Outs that small. Maybe it's time I invest in a set!

• You may have to bore out the grease channel VERY carefully with a bit to make it large enough for an Easy Out to get a bite. The Easy Out should back the zerk out pretty easily; I'd be concerned with snapping off the tiny drill bit though. VERY carefully... ;D

I think I'd remove another good zerk, use it to match up a few replacements, then test on it to find the perfect needed size bit for boring out large enough for the Easy Out. Better to have issues with the one lightly clamped in a vice while testing than the already troubled one on the Jeep. :shrug:

• ive had luck putting a little heat on it too...the grease wicks into the threads and makes it easier to back out (agree with an easy out, but will be hard with the small nature of the fitting)

• What control arms are they? Adjustable I assume? Having them face down and doing any kind of wheeling is just begging for damage. May want to give them half a turn.

You can also replace with a flush mount fitting. You have to use a needle greaser

and use

Needle grease tip.. These are great to have anyway to get into CV and other U-joints that have limited access.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Thanks everyone. Will post some feedback here soon. I do have a needle attachment for my grease gun. I despise greasing my Jeep....I have the worst luck and/or skill. I'd much rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick. :doh:

• Aden makes asset called Grabit for small applications , you can put them in a screwgun. they have two sides, one reams out the bolt the other is the easy out. I use them all the time, they back out 3"deck screws easily

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!