jeep dont wanna start sometimes....

• Simple question I have a 91 yj 4.0 fuel injection that sometimes don't wanna start.... It turns over but doesn't wanna fire up.... I gotta sit for like 5 minutes the. If fires right up.... Go figure.... Any ideas?

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• With it "cold", find the testing port on the fuel rail (Schrader valve) and push in the pin. It should spray fuel. If not, it's likely a worn out fuel pump letting the fuel drain back into the tank. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Ugh..... Ok ill see if I can find it tomorrow.... I was told it might be my ecu by a friend I sure as hell hope it ain't that.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Fwiw, the ECU is almost never the problem. Those things last forever.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Well that's a huge sigh of relief haha.... If it isn't the fuel pump which those things ain't cheap.... What's the possibility of the ignition coil being the issue?

• Fwiw, the ECU is almost never the problem. Those things last forever.

Mine did something similar and it was the ECU. So did wrangler13's. ECU is really easy to swap and they are usually only 20 bucks or so at a yard. Pull it from a non OBD2 cherokee without the security package. Cake.

• Is there anyway I can test the ecu its only done it 2 times to me in the last 2 weeks.... Like I said though its odd because all I gotta do is sit a few seconds and bam she fires right up... And yes I refer to her as a she because she has more mood swings then a woman.

• Mine did something similar and it was the ECU. So did wrangler13's. ECU is really easy to swap and they are usually only 20 bucks or so at a yard. Pull it from a non OBD2 cherokee without the security package. Cake.

91-95 ODB1 years. New they are around $200

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Back to my question is there a way I can definitely find out if this is the issue.... 200$ is a lot of money for it not being The problem....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!