Lift Questions

• I copied a couple links from ebay...mainly they say "budget" lifts by adding leafs and maybe a shackle lift.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…7967840383&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…7966896383&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…7966896374&category=33585

Not sure why they are not "clickable" :shrug:

Is this a way to go to get some lift and be able to fit 33's, maybe? Would anything else need to be done other than the leafs???? At least for the 1st go round?

Thanks!

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• I'd go with the first kit. I don't like Mako Company. The first kit with the AAL should give you 2-3". You may need new shocks but I'm not too sure with YJ. I know you don't with XJ's. Flex is going to be a little more stiff with AAL's opposed to shackles but I like a AAL better than a shackle lift. You should be able to fit 31's with the AAL. Talk to DrJ he just did that to his YJ but I think went with 2.5" shackle lift.

• Add-a-leafs tend to make for a stiff ride because of the thickness of the leaf. You may be sacrificing flex with the AAL but it depends on your needs. I added a leaf from a rough country 4" lift to my current spring lift and it seems to ride fine. I pushed my back end back up to where it shoudl be (I wish it was that easy with my belly).

I wouldn't go too high on a shackle lift. I have a 1" shackle lift and it seems to ride fine.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Thanks! I have 30x9.5 now, so maybe I'll take the Dr. J route and do a 2 ince shackle lift and go to 31x10.5 for now.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Mine was just under 2", and 31"s still rub a little. My goal is a 2.5"-3" spring lift (all new springs), and no shackle lift, maybe an inch if I needed it to get to 33". I'm specofically trying to stay away from SYE's, body lifts, transfer case drops, dropped pitman arms, etc. I may have to go to new shocks, but I could use them anyway. I just don't think my YJ is in a condition that would warrant elaborate and expensive modifications.

• Your YJ is in better condition than my CJ. Or is that what you meant? :hmm:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!