YJ inner axle pilot bearing

• Aaron gave me a set of YJ front axles last year and I used the inner passenger side at that time. I was in the process of putting an outer spare together and noticed it had no pilot (needle) bearing in the shaft, however the ID appears to be the same as the ID of the bearing. Does anyone know if that axle was ever produced without a bearing?

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• Later axles didnt have the bearing. Not sure why or when they deleted it. Guess they figured it wasnt needed. Think they put a plastic sleave in the housing.

Aaron

• Thanks, Aaron. That's what I kinda thought considering the inner axle fit, and since it runs in a gear lube bath I would expect a bushing just as good. I've been checking out Sal's pics on Facebook, Wish I was there!

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• Thanks, Aaron. That's what I kinda thought considering the inner axle fit, and since it runs in a gear lube bath I would expect a bushing just as good. I've been checking out Sal's pics on Facebook, Wish I was there!

Maybe in 2 years when they make the trip again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!