Question about lift's

• Previous owner installed the RC lift on my TJ... even on smooth roads, the name is correct it's ROUGH! Don't forget that when you change one thing on a Jeep, three other things will need to be done... ;D

zone is a part of BDS I've heard there stuff is pretty good for the money.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• We have an 05 Unlimited so i know its a bit different than the standard TJ. We have the RE 3.5 lift running 33s and have yet to have a problem with it other than the shocks i bought to go with it. I had gotten ones a that went up to a 3 in lift and i had also installed a 1 in body lift so i was running 4.5 in of lift. With the 33s it does not like going up hills with out having to put your foot a bit more into the gas. Its an automatic, if it had a stick shift it wouldn't be so bad going up hills. Its the only lift i have used so i can not really compare the ride to any other but i think it rides almost as smooth as it did stock. Its been on since 2007 and still going strong.

• What do you guys think about the Zone off-road lift kits for the tj's?

I installed a Zone lift on a friends TJ. It seemed to be decent quality basic lift for the money. Control arms had some nice beef to them as did the included bracketry. Instructions were very easy to understand. It ride fairly well for a short armed jeep. I'd say it was better than the old rough country kit I had but prob not quite on par with RE.. Every entry level kit will likely have some things that need upgrading.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I'm failing to understand why you'd want a 'real' lift if the desired tire size is only a 32. Of all the lift combos I've run the best all-around for a TJ just looking for a 32-33" tire is a BB/BL combo like others have mentioned. In fact, I just sold our 'burple' TJ not too long ago with a RE BB (and no BL) that comfortably fit JK moabs w/ the stock 32-and-change" tires....no rubbing and a factory ride.

Don't overcomplicate things. :shrug:

--Ian

• Previous owner installed the RC lift on my TJ... even on smooth roads, the name is correct it's ROUGH! Don't forget that when you change one thing on a Jeep, three other things will need to be done... ;D

Shocks play a big role in ride quality too. If they got the cheapest shocks, it probably has the crappiest ride as well. Also is it progressive rate springs?

I'm failing to understand why you'd want a 'real' lift if the desired tire size is only a 32. Of all the lift combos I've run the best all-around for a TJ just looking for a 32-33" tire is a BB/BL combo like others have mentioned. In fact, I just sold our 'burple' TJ not too long ago with a RE BB (and no BL) that comfortably fit JK moabs w/ the stock 32-and-change" tires....no rubbing and a factory ride.Don't overcomplicate things. :shrug: --Ian

:wstupid:

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

Edited once, last by ruquik ().

• Keep in mind that with a TJ/XJ the ride quality will get harsher the taller you lift it, until you switch to long arms. My XJ has smoother with a 7" lift than it had with a 4" because I switched to longarms (ok, and cheap shocks vs Bilstein reservoir shocks). But, yeah... the RC springs and shocks are a little overly stiff. A softer shock like the Skyjacker Hydros will smooth things a little. Bilsteins are very nice but not the softest. Bilstein goes for ride quality and control, so it's usually a little firm, but tries to be smoother at the same time. My JK has the AEV lift with Bilstein shocks and it's a little smoother than my stock Rubicon lift, but still firmer than a regular Sport or Sahara.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Basic rule of thumb on body lifts. 1" - 1.5" max. Anything taller IMHO , looks goofy and can cause other issues (wires pulled, brake line, fuel filler, radiator, shifter clearance) Pretty sure DE can fail you on inspection if the gap between frame rail and body exceeds 3"

x2 :up:
    i remembet scott taylor ang I gat a 3" lift andd cut the spacers in half added new bolts and we ended up both having a 1.5 body lift

• Ok I will throw my 2 cents in since I run the RC lifts on 3 Jeeps. On the 85 CJ went with the 4 inch kit nicely put toghter but still rode hard it is a CJ after all. After about 3 years of use and abuse the rear springs have started to sag no other problems with this kit. On the 07 Rubicon we installed the 4 inch x-flex short arm kit it came with all new control arms, springs, adjustable track bar, new brake lines and other stuff. Right from the box the jeep has leaned on the right side we swaped springs and it still leans so not sure what is going on there. The ride is ok and does extremly well for what it is and it is running 35's. This jeep is going to be getting a 6" long arm tera flex kit some time this year. On the 11 rubicon I went with the 2.5 lift with new springs and 2.2 shocks. The ride is pretty much same as stock with all of the same issues of nose diving in stops. I had a problem with one shock leaking and they replaced it with no problems. Those who wheel with me know I don't baby my jeeps on the trail, are these the best kits on the market NO will they work and hold up if your on a tight budget YES. All lift systems are prone to failures over time and will need to have parts replaced you can expect this to happen with these kits in about the 4 year range if used moderatley hard. I hope this helps you some.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!