• Went to the beach yesterday and had no problems at Cape (did see a few stuck vehicles and 1 was a jeep :doh: ).

I noticed as I was turning around in some soft deep sand that my back driverside wheel was spinning but my front one was not :question:. Shouldn't that be turning when 4wd is engaged?

How do I go about checking to make sure my 4wd is working and what is involved with a potential fix? THANKS.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• 4 wheel drive is truly a misconception.

Regular 2 wheel drive trucks are truly only one wheel drive.

A Jeep without lockers is realy a 2 wheel drive.
    One in the front and one in the rear.

The tire that is getting the traction is the one that should be turning.

To make it truly a 4 wheel drive you need to lock the left and right axles together

With a locker or spool both wheels on that axle will turn making it a true 4 wheel drive.

• I see said the blind man :idea: I am so glad that there are many, many people on this board much wiser than myself :laughing:

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Ying - how much air did you have in the tires? I have found that if there is too much air, I have the problem you described.

Also - I can't believe you came to the beach and didn't get up with me :soapbox: :laughing:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• My 2WD truck has a traction control device and does fine in the snow. It's amazing how much that extra driving wheel will help. Even un-locked, a 4wd will do fine in the sand as long as you air down and take it easy. When you have wider tires you can get away from airing down since your foot print is already bigger.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "BBD"

The tire that is getting the traction is the one that should be turning.

Actually with an open differential the one that is stopped is the one that has traction...the one turning is the one that has the least traction.

--Ian

• Hey SarasGP - I aired down to about 10-12...We started at Cape thinking there would not be many people out since it was Sunday and not summer yet! My wife has never driven in sand (I have only done so a few times), so this was really a "training" ride. I drive out onto the beach, threw a line out for a bit and then neaded back. She was doing the driving but didn't like it since she didn't feel in real control and with the dune crossing at Cape, it is a bit tricky to see over the top (that is why the folks were getting stuck...slowed down to make sure nothing was coming and sunk) so she jumped out and watched the top of the dune for our exit. We then decided to check out Gordons Pond (after DFH). That looks like a pretty easy entrance way. She is looking for an easy play to get on for when I am not there (we have a camper at Homestead just out Rt. 9) sinceshe is a teacher and we "live" down there most of the summer. Hopefully by the end of the summer she will be ready to drive out on her own.

1990 YJ, 4&quot; Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• This is where I usually go. I go on the beach all winter without airing down, but the sand is harder then. The only time I ever got stuck was when my former roommate (the genius) who never wants to do any more work than absolutely necessary, said we didn't need to air down, against all my protestations, and we promptly got stuck in the Gordon's Pond crossing. He was trying to show off for his girlfriend and still refused to air down. I made him dig it out!! After almost burning out my clutch, losing parts of my jack in the sand, and getting po'd at me for getting it stuck (stupid female that I am :rasp: ) he finally got it out. A couple weeks later he appologized and said he knew I was right and he was just being stubborn. Needless to say after that he was always the first one out of the Jeep to air down :lol: We never got stuck again - and I never let him drive my Jeep on the beach again :suspicious:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Gordon's Pond is only about a mile from my house. I PM'd my #'s to you so your wife can call when she doesn't want to go alone. I usually go 2-3 times a week, very early before everyone gets there. I go at around 6am and am off the beach by noon. Then I've got the rest of the day to do stuff I'm supposed to be doing :lol: It would be fun to have another Jeep girl to hang out with.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!