Frankly my dear... I... do give a damn...

• ... he said to Scarlet...

World is an interesting place huh? Well let me tell you a tale of the 'other' Mj...

I bought her on June 6, 2001. She had belonged to a young couple who moved up from
    Florida to New Jersey only to decide to move back home. They only made it to southern
    Delaware before needing to unload the truck for something more accommodating. I paid
    $2000, they bought a minivan.

She was my daily driver during my merchandising days, mostly as an effort to keep miles off
    my other (then very sick) Mj Gracie. I have fuel logs as far north as Rhode Island and as far
    south as NC.

Very late on September 10, 2001 I drove her to a job in Central Washington DC. She then
    brought me home on the most surreal commute I have ever taken...

When the work dried up afterwards I was forced to make some hard decisions - one of which
    was what Comanche to keep and which to let go. She was the one sacrificed. Secretly I hope
    she isn't still bitter about that...

On July 15, 2002, a mere 405 days later, she was sold to a local electrician and driven off into
    the sunset.

Aww....

So fast forward to the Summer of 2005. As I passed by a local auction house I noticed what
    appeared to be a red Comanche tucked into the back. Naturally I stopped in to have a look.
    Low and behold it was Scarlet... or more precisely what was left of her. I immediately
    contacted the owner of the auction to see about buying her back. He said he wasn't
    interested in selling yet so I asked that he contact me when the time came. He agreed and
    we went on our way.

Years passed. Every so often I would stop in to visit her as she worked the lot. The owner
    would give no reason as to why he didn't want to sell, but I figured if I were persistent
    enough it would eventually pay off. As a lark I wrote a note with my information on it that
    basically said "Do not crush this truck before calling Bonks" and sneaked it into the glove box.

More Years passed.

On a very cold Friday morning I get a random call from the brother of the owner. He says they
    were cleaning out some of the junkers to take to the family storage when he came across the
    note. He asked if I was still interested. I said I very well might be depending on price and
    condition. He said "How does $500 sound?" I replied "Sounds like she's coming home..."

And she has:

Aww....

I am excited to announce that this morning one of my lost babies has returned.

1988 Jeep Comanche Eliminator - "Scarlet"

She is in rough shape and I am planning on using this thread to detail her upcoming...
    rejuvenation... I say that because she is not going to be restored but going to be built into the
    jeep I have always wanted her to be. All I know about her is what you see in the pictures
    (and there will be more to come soon.) She hasn't been washed or inspected yet. Please
    feel free to make comments or suggestions here. I will try my best to document
    upgrades/repairs as I go (and more importantly as the weather improves.) I will apologize
    now as my time is woefully limited these days with work so it may be the slowest build in the
    history of the club...

Anyway, for better or worse, I am back to the Jeep Thing...

I drive WAY too fast to be worried about cholesterol...

Edited once, last by Bonkers ().

• That's beautiful. Congratulations!

I used to think about buying a fuel-efficient vehicle.<br />Then I remembered I have a Jeep and can drive over sh*t.

• wow. That's awesome...what a long road it's been. makes me want to go out and find some of my old builds....

• Thanks guys... here we go...

Day 1.

I went through every nook an cranny I could get into while the sun was still
    out. Here are some fresh pics to get a better idea. At this point I have not
    even washed it yet:

Passenger side:

Window vent bent open.
    Windshield Cracked.
    Passenger wiper arm missing.
    Side mirrors jammed.
    Decals.

Front fascia:

Fog Lights blown out and disconnected.
    Front Grill cracked.
    Headlight Bezels flaked.
    Corner lens both shattered.

Drivers side:

Flat tires.
    Door needs realignment.
    Dent in fender.
    Wheel well plastic replacements.

Roof:

Paint gone, light rust forming.
    Hood paint gone, light rust forming.

Drivers side quarter:

Rear:

Bumper trim.
    Passenger tail light.
    Dent on Passenger corner.
    Tailgate needs lube/alignment
    Exhaust replacement.

Interior:

Cleaning.
    Floorboard inspection.
    Seat bracket lubrication.
    Shift Knob.
    Window handles.
    Door panel refurbish.
    New Ignition
    New steering column.

Dash:

Cleaning.
    Electrical gremlins.
    Gauge gremlins.

Interior Roof:

Complete surface rust.
    Headliner
    Sun visors
    Rear window reseal.

Motor:

Full Tune-up.
    Battery.
    Coolant.

Those are just the things I noticed with a quick look-me-over. Ultimately she
    will have a factory roll bar, 4x4, and Ax15 upgrade.

• Way cool! My dad has an '89 commanche long bed. 4.0/auto. Been thinking of restoring it to use a daily driver/work truck.

• I have a XJ Tilt steering column with ignition and key from a 93. $75. PM if interested.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Doesn't look too bad overall...any of the front clip parts are a breeze given how many XJ's are around. I don't know how married you are to the 'old' style nose but IMHO since you'll be replacing the grill/corner markers/etc I'd swap on a '97-01 updated nose for a little more modern look. The MJ-specific parts are a little harder to come by but not unobtanium (I had a little trouble sourcing tails for mine locally...had to resort to fleabay). Good luck with getting it back into shape, I've got a soft spot for them.

--Ian

• Deadfeat:
    I am sourcing a 96 XJ as a donor right now, but if that falls through I will
    give you a call on that column. Right now I am more feeling things out than
    actually fixing.. but we all know how that goes...

Ian:
    I am really not a fan of the newer one-peice look believe it or not... I am however
    considering a 4.0 to H.O swap depending on condition of the motor when I get her
    started. I have some good sources on parts so I think it'll be more of a matter of
    NOT spending huge $$ on the work... afterall I still have a pipe dream about getting
    gracie back someday...
    I

• Wouldnt a 91-95 with ODB1 be much easier?

As far as I know, no. Because you're ditching the Renix system, you basically have to rewire the whole engine bay. At that point might as well take a Xj with power windows/locks/console and all that, and slide it into the MJ.

It's what I'm considering doing with my dad's 89. Ditching the Renix engine/wiring and replacing it all with a 97-99 XJ stuff. Steering column, airbag, dash, a/c, the whole 9 yards.

• Wouldnt a 91-95 with ODB1 be much easier?

From what I've been reading it shouldn't be overly complicated... *shoudn't*...

Plus I am looking at picking up a 96 Xj for the Ax15 and 4x4 anyway so I would
    technically already have everything I would need (minus the experience/ability to
    actually do it.) Wouldnt have to buy another setup.

Of course, the moment I get her home the job decides to increase the hours... gonna
    start with simple stuff these weekend and see where it leads...

• You actually managed to buy something from Dave Wilson??

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• I'm just pissed i never asked.... Just because Dave's reputation of keeping "stuff". I used to see that thing sitting there every week.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Just found this thread here. Nice looking at the pic's bigger than my cell phone.

Talk to you soon. Happy for you.

Any progress with that caliper?

• Day Six:

She Runs!!!
    (video link:)

Not only does she run, but she runs well. No smoke, no leaks, gauges work,
    lights work, transmission shifts - everything is is operational except the A/C
    and turn signals! I am astounded. I type this in utter disbelief as she idles
    happily outside for hour 4 now.

Work today consisted of simple stuff since I am still evaluating and waiting on
    parts. Oil change and *ahem* new battery... (strangely the same Optima I
    bought for her 14 years ago) were the only progress for this afternoon. I spent
    most of the day PRYING the wheels off as they were sealed to the hubs. It
    occurs to me that my biggest issue with this project isn't going to be rust like I
    thought, but the clay concrete-like glue that is covering everything. I dug
    about an inch of dirt from the drivers foot well - the carpet is shot, but I still
    have faith the well may not need replacing.

Depending on the drive train, this may alter my immediate plans. I may just
    go ahead and focus on aesthetic repairs and bodywork instead of the 4x4
    conversion I was thinking about. If the motor and transmission are healthy
    enough to survive a year or two, then it will give me more time to research
    options... decisions...

Anyway, there's nothing else planned for this weekend, but I will update again
    when I am comfortable with her moving under her own power.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!