ZJ Just Quits

• Anyone ever experience this before: going down or up a trail and everything just quits. Engine just died no fuel to the motor,I am thinking fuel pump issuses and or relay issues, not sure where to begin, To see if it left any codes behind would be a good start,

• Need more info... I assume it started again? Definitely check for codes. Why are you thinking no fuel? To follow a fuel problem, start by checking the fuel rail pressure and that it's within spec. Then, for fun check the fuses and relays for any abnormal visual signs. I haven't really heard of intermittent fuel issues with a fuel-injected Jeep, though.

Check the battery connections and grounds (including the block-firewall ground) to be sure they're clean and tight.\\\

Did you go through any deep water holes before the problems started? Maybe something got wet that shouldn't have... I always had problems with the TPS but that wouldn't cause a shut-down. Check your distributor for signs of water under the cap and loose wires.

One cause of random shutdowns is a dying crankshaft position sensor. Do you know when yours was last replaced?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• does your jeep have a fuel pump shutoff sensor, it shuts off the fuel pump in an accident,if you do & it's malfunctioning jarring it could could shut off the fuel pump. or it can heat up ,melting the wire connector to it, stopping the power to the pump. wigiling the connector can get power back to the pump, had the latter problem with a ford I owned , drove me bonkers for months & cost quite a bit of cash to remidie.

• Do you lose your guages too? There's a multipin connector under the jeep that can become loose and do the same thing but you'll lose your guages or the odometer will read NO BUS on it.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• We had a 99 xj that did that. Engine died, gauges dropped. Turned out to be an intermittent shorting cell in the battery. New battery , problem. Solved.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• If it starts back up, it can be a pcm. I had random stalls. Everyone i heard say throw this or that part. I ended up tapping pcm with wrench and it shut off. Found the problem. The true reason it goes bad is the screws holding cover on rub the board then short it out. If that is the case you are on borrowed time.

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: <br />4.0L - 4.5&quot; Long Arm - D44&#039;s Locked - 33&quot; M/TR&#039;s <br />XRC 8K Winch - Daily Beater / Offroad Machine<br />1970 Chevy Nova: Rowdy Street Car

• In all honesty it happened twice at Rausch and both times the thing just quit, gauges dropped, and when I tried to restart it sounded as if it was lacking fuel, no attempt to start...just starter turning sounds...(no codes I checked today) but the second time I might have cleared them because I disconnected the battery. I can say that if I remember correctly I was going up hill both times hitting/jarring the ZJ pretty hard...temp was at 210 the entire time (where it always is), but was hot under the engine compartment...I wondered at the time if the heat had any cause on my relays...I am looking for vents now to help it cool...I drove the entire 3 plus hours up there and back with no problems....drove it today locally with no issues...battery is brand new...I am still stumped and not really sure where to start...I have not been able to duplicate it since the ride on Saturday...quite the oh shi.... feeling when you lose all power on this tank...thanks for the suggestions...

• The CPS will make similar symptoms, no codes, complete shutdown, dead gauges. But, could still be anything. A quick loss of battery power will shut it down with no codes, too. Make sure that the battery terminal clamps are clean and tight, and the grounds... if they all look good, try unbolting the hold-down bracket and shake or raise/drop the battery a few inches while the engine is running and see if anything happens, that could point toward internal problems with the battery.

210* is fine, that's where the I6 is designed to run. If you want to lower the compartment temps, you'll need to move more air. I'm not familiar with the ZJ cooling system, do you have an electric fan plus the belt fan? If you do, you could rig up a switch to turn it on manually and keep air moving when you're going slow on the trails. Vents can help with cooling, but there are big performance differences depending on where they're placed. The 5.9L ZJ has vents at the front of the hood, which is perfect for cooling on the road as that is a low-pressure location and actually sucks extra air through the radiator than the fan can do alone. Most people put vents in the middle or closer to the windshield, these work great for low-speed cooling, but actually hinders cooling as it's a high-pressure location at speed and forces air down into the motor and will cause less air to move through the radiator. Just something to think about...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Sounds like the PCM. Dont throw parts at it. Test the parts. Look up the PCM screw mod, if that helps get yourself a new PCM.

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: <br />4.0L - 4.5&quot; Long Arm - D44&#039;s Locked - 33&quot; M/TR&#039;s <br />XRC 8K Winch - Daily Beater / Offroad Machine<br />1970 Chevy Nova: Rowdy Street Car

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!