"offroad" exhaust for 2012+

• Does anybody here run the 3.6L engine with one of the offroad exhaust kits (or "custom"). Most of the kits replace the factory resonator with a new muffler and then either have a turndown before the axle or continue the exhaust down the drivers side to the bumper.

I really want to dump the factory muffler and put an air tank in its place, but don't want to go deaf to do it. Especially with 4000 highway miles for Moab in September... I'm looking at the MBRP "Off Road" Catback and the Dynomax Ultra Flo "Rockcrawler" Cat-Back. Both have a small muffler replacing the resonator and then go over the axle. Midas wanted to just dump the muffler and run a straight pipe from the axle, but that'll be way too loud and drone on the road.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• What about that storage space in the floor by the tailgate... is that big enough to hold your air tank? I'm not too familiar with JKs and I 've only seen my brother access his once or twice. I don't recall quite how big that space is... :shrug:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• My friend has the magnaflow 15236. It sounds decent most of the time, but every now and then it sounds a bit lie a ricer. That seems to be common with all of the 3.6 exhausts though.

Here is a video of his.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just a word of caution that DE will ding you at inspection for a turndown. It might not get noticed with a OBDII inspection up north but sussex failed mine a couple times (remember slower lower still gets sniffed for all vehicles) as the tailpipe didn't exit 'behind the driver and out from under the vehicle'. I had a cute temp tailpipe that I bolted on to avoid the issue after that....

--Ian

• The cargo hold isn't big deep enough for a 2.5gal tank without a lot of "custom" metalwork. That's where I keep my daily stuff, flares, tire plugs, basic tools. Not much room.

Thanks for the input on the magnaflow kit, do you know how the interior volume and highway done is?

Thanks, Ian. I've got until 11/2016 for my first inspection, but I'll probably go with a full length pipe yo help with interior noise and fumes. The northern DMV passed my old XJ with the exhaust disconnected between the cat and muffler, you can see the muffler hanging from about 20' away. Lol

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Real off road exhaust will be mashed, bashed, dented, scratched, broken and mended many times over.. why spend big $$$

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• So what are you suggesting, Steve?

Jerry / Whatevah

• Real off road exhaust will be mashed, bashed, dented, scratched, broken and mended many times over.. why spend big $$$

the jk high clearance exhausts put the exhaust well above the frame rail. If he smashes that he has way more problems then the exhaust. I've destroyed 90% of my jk and my exhaust doesn't have a scratch on it.

Jerry I don't recall how loud it was on the highway. I know it was not even close to my jeep which doesn't have a muffler though.

• I was on my phone when I replied earlier and didn't follow the link. Just opened it up, I watched that video twice last night! Cool stuff. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!