Tire Siping

• The question is, does he want to sipe them or groove them. I think he would be better off grooving them. Since its not street driven, grooving might help the tires flex a little better and give some more knobbies to grab with. Just my .02.
    Im all for having the "Right" tool but if it can be done on the cheap, then fuck it.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Siping is the small slits in the treads right? Now I'm a little confused to what is what. :doh:

But like Ed said, I'd like to try and do it on the cheap. Definitely will be trying a lower air pressure first but I might get froggy so we'll see

• Yes, siping is the small cuts in the tread blocks, usually 1/32" or smaller and found on most street tires (especially all-weather and snow tires, snow tires have tons of siping). DIY siping is usually done with a razor blade so they're much smaller than on regular tires but basically do the same job.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Yes siping and grooving are completely different.

Siping could help in this case where sipes have worn out by the manufacturer.

Over siping will cause chunking like I said if you use the tire like Matt will on big ass rocks and lots of tire spin.

Grooving doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Goodyear engineers are way smarter than some redneck with an air chisel, router, or chain saw. :innocent: The best grooving I've seen done was to Interco tires and that's because I think Interco tires suck to start with so anyone can improve on them. Example here:

• They groove those swampers mainly because they flex like crap. I think grooving might help Matts situation, since his tires are a bit older and the tread on them is rock hard. Either way can't hurt in his case.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!