Want to buy a TJ for new driver

• I've YJ's TJ's and now a JK. My son has the bug for a wrangler. Looking for a clean 2003-2006 TJ Automatic. Hopefully one that has been left alone, or done right.

I know that many will ask and comment about manual vs automatic and the TJ for a new driver.... But if you have seen a nice one for sale or are selling. Please let me know.

I appreciate the help.

Andrew

• I've always felt a manual keeps a new driver more focused on driving and less on the radio or the pretty girl sitting next to him. Also consider a 4cyl, might keep insurance cheaper plus keep your kid to the speed limits. :)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• I think a XJ is a good starter vehicle. They are cheap and reliable. Let them learn on one first then graduate to a wrangler. I consider XJ's disposable. Plus they are ubber cheap to insure.

I paid $1500 for a 93 in great shape for my engine donor, with 106k mi. Would have been a great daily driver.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Looking for a little newer TJ with A/C.

I can understand the a/c thing but what's the justification on 'a little newer'? The one linked has <49K and all TJ's from 97-06 are essentially the same with some very minor interior changes. IMHO I'd look for the best example of any TJ as even the newest ones are approaching 10yrs old. Condition, mileage, and maintenance would play a much bigger factor in my decision. :shrug:

--Ian

• I can understand the a/c thing but what's the justification on 'a little newer'? The one linked has <49K and all TJ's from 97-06 are essentially the same with some very minor interior changes. IMHO I'd look for the best example of any TJ as even the newest ones are approaching 10yrs old. Condition, mileage, and maintenance would play a much bigger factor in my decision. :shrug:

--Ian

Thanks for all of the input and thoughts. I am looking for a 2003 or newer TJ: Starting in 2003 jeep changed from a 3-speed automatic to a 4-speed. There is more leg room up front – increased the seat travel as well.
    Agreed that condition and how well a TJ is cared for is very important.

Andrew

• I consider XJ's disposable.

I haven't disposed of one yet, despite my best efforts. Maybe I should have.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying him a 2009 JK 2 door. Found a good deal and it s safer....

Now - let the fun begin - New wheels, tires, etc.....

Andrew

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!