HELP! YJ is smoking badly. UPDATE!!!!

• Coming home tonight from class, I could see a lot of smoke coming out the back of the YJ. I know the headlights of the car behind me make it seem worse, but it was BAD!

In Dover, who/where is a good place to look at an engine? This is way beyond me, and I will pay someone to fix it, but I'd like someone's expertise on where is trustworthy. My guess is the main bearings (Quadna suggested that, I'm just repeating it).

Anyone know a good engine shop?

...and yes, if it is smoking badly tomorrow in the daylight as well, and it can't be fixed by Thursday PM, I won't be going Friday morning.

• I don't see how bad main bearings would cause smoke out the tailpipe. I'd guess valve stem seals or rings. I doubt either would be fixed by Friday.

...and yes, if it is smoking badly tomorrow in the daylight as well, and it can't be fixed by Thursday PM, I won't be going Friday morning.

Won't Robin let you use the KJ anymore :doh:

You can't back out now. Everyone is depending on you. :folded:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• It wasn't coming out of the tailpipe. It doesn't smoke while standing still, but when I accelerate it smokes a lot. It's hard to say how bad at night, I'll know better in the morning. I can see the smoke in both mirrors, so I'm pretty sure it isn't coming from the tailpipe.

I did put a new valve cover gasket on earlier in the week, and I thought it was actually sounding better, more solid. The oil pressure gauge jumped up to pressure quicker, etc. But now this. I also put a quart of oil in it when I did that.

Hmmm... what if it had too much oil in it? Would it smoke badly?

• She had/has plans requiring the KJ that I might not be able to change. The thought of taking the YJ anyway and blowing up on I-81 isn't a pleasant thought either. Towing from that far away would cost more than the Jeep!

Anyone know a good engine shop in the Dover area?

• Quote from "DrJ"

I did put a new valve cover gasket on earlier in the week, and I thought it was actually sounding better, more solid. The oil pressure gauge jumped up to pressure quicker, etc. But now this. I also put a quart of oil in it when I did that.

Hmmm... what if it had too much oil in it? Would it smoke badly?

Is the gasket leaking, that'll usually cause it to drip down on the exhaust.

• No, actually it might have been before I changed it, but not now. now that you say that though, I'll double check the bolts in the morning.

How about the overfill thing? Could that do it? When I checked the oil, it was really hard to tell the level. I knew it had been leaking a bit in the driveway and garage, so I added a quart anyway. It is running smooth, but will buck occassionaly. Idle is smooth most of the time.

• Quote from "DrJ"

No, actually it might have been before I changed it, but not now. now that you say that though, I'll double check the bolts in the morning.

How about the overfill thing? Could that do it? When I checked the oil, it was really hard to tell the level. I knew it had been leaking a bit in the driveway and garage, so I added a quart anyway. It is running smooth, but will buck occassionaly. Idle is smooth most of the time.

Overfilling is not good, I guess anything is possible.

Daylight will make troubleshooting easier.

• Too much oil can badly damage an engine. What it won't do, at least in my experience is make it smoke. Smoke is usually caused by combustion or oil cooking on an exhaust pipe. Main bearings may make rattling noises and can cause a big puff of smoke when they throw, but generally things get bad and noisy quickly with mains. A rear main seal might be throwing a lot of oil onto an exhaust pipe. :shrug:

• Main SEAL...that's what Chris said. Would that explain it running relatively smoothly, but smoking heavily? Could a shop fix that in two days?

• Quote from "DrJ"

Main SEAL...that's what Chris said. Would that explain it running relatively smoothly, but smoking heavily? Could a shop fix that in two days?

whew...i was reading down this thread thinking..."doh, rear main seal steve, rear main seal!" :( that's where it looked like it may have been coming from that one day...more at the rear of the pan than anywhere else. sorry i can't help look at it tonight - gotta get icky's roadworthy too. i've heard decent things about joe's garage...take a left when heading out of your work, right at the light on gov's ave, about 200 yards up on the right. only place i can think of right now (toooo early).
    chris

• I've just walked to work from Melvin's Auto Repair. They're telling me they can have it fixed by tomorrow afternoon. We'll see. It's looking like the KJ isn't an option, my wife has not only made plans, but she's made them with my mother-in-law, and they involve funiture and antique shopping (kind of a sad fate for the KJ, huh?), so pissing them BOTH off might not be wise since I need to put a big hurt on the checkbook right about now. So...

...anyone in he Dover group got a shotgun seat? Just in case?

• I don't think it would be the rear main. The rear main will cause it to leak on the other side of the inspection plate (inside the bell housing). Any "throwing around" of the oil will be inside the bell housing. It will then drip out the bell housing bottom. It could then be blown onto the exhaust as you drive down the road but will also be smeared across everything else.

I'd double check your valve cover gasket to make sure it isn't leaking down the back. Regardless, it shouldn't be throwing out THAT much oil to cause all the smoke you describe.

Are you sure it's engine oil burning off the exhaust? Gear oil would have a distinctive smell (sort of like sulfur). What color is the smoke? Blueish smoke typcially means you burnt the rings. Blackish smoke means your running rich, and whitish smoke can mean a water leak into the combution area (If you run antifreeze in your radiator the smoke would probably smell sickening sweet).

Check the oil level today, let it idle in one place for a while and watch for drips. If you have to, you may have to clean the engine bay down so you will only look at the fresh leak.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i just did the rear main on my yj.

there was lots of smoke and lets just say that the entire underside of my truck is now WELL lubricated. Jwalk aslo got a good cropdusting driving behind me from Jack Frost a couple of weeks ago.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• As I'd expected, the smoke isn't noticeable in the daylight. I obviously can't follow myself to see closely, but I'm not seeing smoke this morning. I've turned it over to the garage, and told them I'd just put on a new valve cover gasket. They'll check it and the main seals.

How else would burnt rings manifest themselves?

Paul, that helps... the underside of mine is also "well lubricated", maybe that is it afterall. Chris also thought the oil was coming from the mains when he was under it last time, but there was so much oil around, and the valve cover had been leaking, it was hard to be sure.

...just waiting for "the call" now. :sniffle:

• Jeep's fixed! It turns out that the PCV system/valve was carboned up and not drawing a slight vacuum, it was actually pushing air/exhaust. They pulled the valve cover, cleaned the gallery, reseated the gasket, cleaned out the PCV system and put in a new PCV valve. $148.

Just one of those things they said. Probably broke up some stuff when I put in the new gasket.

:updown: :updown: :updown: :updown: :updown:

• Quote from "DrJ"

How else would burnt rings manifest themselves?

:

Regular wear is the most common. Or if you have a leak in your intake gasket it can suck in extra air, create a hot spot and burn out the ring and piston. That's what happend to me last year. I never did find the leak but it seems to be running fine. I had the head redecked.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!