Re-installing Warn Rock Crawler bumper....tips needed

• I cannot remember how my Warn bumper got installed years ago, but it must have been done by a Chinese contortionist. I cannot get to the back side of the frame crossmember in order to thread the 3/8" bolts. I know the quick answer is that I need to drop my gas tank. But, I can't get the skid plate out of the way; the tailpipe is so close that it stops it from swinging out of the way. I certainly hope I'm not going to have to cut off my tailpipe in order to install my bumper. Tell me it ain't so!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Take some stiff wire, thread it up through the hole, then wrap the wire around the bolt threads and pull the wires down through the hole. Make sure you have a lock washer under the head bolt, will help hold the bolt from turning as it is tightened. An impact will make short work of it. Have to do that a lot when putting hitches on too.

[youtube]9xPPDuZ58rE[/youtube]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Take some stiff wire, thread it up through the hole, then wrap the wire around the bolt threads and pull the wires down through the hole. Make sure you have a lock washer under the head bolt, will help hold the bolt from turning as it is tightened. An impact will make short work of it. Have to do that a lot when putting hitches on too.

[youtube]9xPPDuZ58rE[/youtube]

Steve, what makes this particularly tough is that those bolts get threaded into the bumper. The frame has holes in it, but the bumper has built-in (welded) nuts. So, I need to ratchet the bolt heads from the backside. Argh!

• Ian, the tank skid plate does not swing away like it's designed to do, because the tailpipe blocks it. If it's necessary to do that in order to drop the tank, I'll have to cut the tailpipe hanger, move the tailpipe, then weld it back later. If the tank and skid plate drop straight down together, then I shouldn't need to touch the tailpipe. Can someone please tell me which of those situations it is?

• The gas tank is strapped into the skidplate and the skidplate is then bolted up to Jeep. You should be able to loosen the front skid bolts a thread or two, pop the exhaust out of it's hangar, disconnect the filler tube from up near the gas cap, then lower the skid down a couple of inches by slowly dropping down a floor jack. Drop it an inch, inspect everything for pinching or tugging, repeat, repeat, until you have room to reach up there and tighten up those bumper bolts.

Don't be enticed into skipping them as you'll want them if you intend to keep towing your pop up camper.

• The gas tank is strapped into the skidplate and the skidplate is then bolted up to Jeep. You should be able to loosen the front skid bolts a thread or two, pop the exhaust out of it's hangar, disconnect the filler tube from up near the gas cap, then lower the skid down a couple of inches by slowly dropping down a floor jack. Drop it an inch, inspect everything for pinching or tugging, repeat, repeat, until you have room to reach up there and tighten up those bumper bolts.

Don't be enticed into skipping them as you'll want them if you intend to keep towing your pop up camper.

Will give it a shot this evening. Thanks again everyone!

Don't listen to him, Just use ZIP ties. :razz:

[size=1][ Disclaimer: This post was for entertainment purposes only, any attempt to secure a bumper with zip ties would likely end in disastrous consequences. Additionally any attempt to tow with said zip tied bumper will likely end in injury, dismemberment or death. This disclaimer holds the poster free and clear of any liability if the event that the Postee is actually stupid enough and attempts to zip tie his bumper on and or tow a pop up camper ] [/size]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Ian, the tank skid plate does not swing away like it's designed to do, because the tailpipe blocks it. If it's necessary to do that in order to drop the tank, I'll have to cut the tailpipe hanger, move the tailpipe, then weld it back later. If the tank and skid plate drop straight down together, then I shouldn't need to touch the tailpipe. Can someone please tell me which of those situations it is?

Where'd you hear that it was 'designed' to swing away? Like Chris said....the tanks strapped into it. In the time this threads been going you could've put a jack under the tank, unbolted the filler neck, unhooked the vent and pressure lines, unbolted the skid, lowered the tank, bolted your bumper on, buttoned it all back up, and been on beer #3 admiring your work! :doh:

• Where'd you hear that it was 'designed' to swing away? Like Chris said....the tanks strapped into it. In the time this threads been going you could've put a jack under the tank, unbolted the filler neck, unhooked the vent and pressure lines, unbolted the skid, lowered the tank, bolted your bumper on, buttoned it all back up, and been on beer #3 admiring your work! :doh:

I'm obviously missing something, so I'll take another hard look at it tonight. I thought I noticed before that the plate is hinged on the front (axle) side. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something positive to report.

• The tank should drop straight down, I've dropped the tank on my 98 TJ several times. Like others said, disconnect the filler neck, wires, and lines. Also, try to run the jeep till it's pretty low on fuel, it will be easier to handle.

• I'm obviously missing something, so I'll take another hard look at it tonight. I thought I noticed before that the plate is hinged on the front (axle) side. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something positive to report.

Musta been smoking one of those special blunts when you saw those hinges. :spinrhead:

But seriously, I've had my tank completely down twice and didn't cut anything.

The hanger is 2 rods that fit into a rubber link. Easy to pop one out if you need to

• Bumper is back where it ought to be. Am now crossing "Lower TJ Gas Tank" off my bucket list. (Yes, I have a pretty jacked up bucket list.)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!