Rear Main Seal

• Well I bought a new trailer today (6X10 enclosed) and while pulling it home I found out I need a new rear main seal. I knew it was leaking a little bit but while pulling the trailer it leaked a lot. I guess the added weight and pressure helped it crap out. Anyway I was wondering if $300 was too bad to put a new one in. I called my mechanic friend and thats what he quoted me. Doesn't sound toooooooo bad but I guess it could be worse. Would anyone in the club be willing to do this or is it just too big of a job.
    Let me know
    :question:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• are you SURE it's the rear main?

$300 dosn't sound bad - I think the 4.0 is a 2 piece. Need to drop the pan and take out the main bearing cap. and push the old seal out and the new one in. not really a fun job.

• I stopped over to my mechanic friends house and thats what he told me. Its leaking where the bell housing is connected to the motor. I'm pretty sure its the rear main seal.
    :hmm:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• I did mine recently and on 2 other motors have never been able to get the upper piece out. on this one I could not get the top out either. and it still leaks. Never had a problem on the other trucks.

so just for giggles I called jeep to see what they charge and

460$ will get you a new rear main installed. just got the price today... so 300 is better than that.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• Quote from "BDLSTOY"

I stopped over to my mechanic friends house and thats what he told me. Its leaking where the bell housing is connected to the motor. I'm pretty sure its the rear main seal.
    :hmm:

just make sure it's not coming from above (valve cover or something equally stupid) and ending up at the bell housing...

how bad is it leaking? - I put one in the ford when I had the motor out, it's leaking. I must have drove it in too far or not far enough. The bottom of the bell housing is wet, but it dosn't drip.

just make sure it's not coming from above (valve cover or something equally stupid) and ending up at the bell housing...

No, I watched it leaking out of the bell housing with my own eyes. I pulled over cause I saw smoke out of my mirror and got underneath and saw it dripping. The smoke was the wind blowing it onto my exhaust. :doh:

460$ will get you a new rear main installed. just got the price today... so 300 is better than that.

Glad to hear its a good price. I figured my friend was giving me a good price but I had no idea what these things normally cost.

Thanks for the input guys :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• ley me know what the vin number is i can run it and see if there are any recalls . i think there is recall or technical service bulletin for a rear main seal leak. i would have to check for you.
    fred

• Rear mains are a pain. On a 258 you have to upbolt the passenger side motor mount and jack up the motor to expose 2 oil pan bolts. Once you drop the oil pan you have to remove the rear main cap. The lower half of the rear main rests in a groove in that cap. The upper will require carefully driving it out. I think they usually use a punch and mallet. But being made of rubber, the seal will absorb a lot of the striking force. Once you get enough driven out you may be able to grab the end and yank it. I think there is a tool that makes the job a lot easier. From what I've read, putting the new one in is a lot easier. I think you use dish soap so it will slide in easier.

I've only done them during a rebuild with the engine remove (which was a lot easier).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

Rear mains are a pain. On a 258 you have to upbolt the passenger side motor mount and jack up the motor to expose 2 oil pan bolts. Once you drop the oil pan you have to remove the rear main cap. The lower half of the rear main rests in a groove in that cap. The upper will require carefully driving it out. I think they usually use a punch and mallet. But being made of rubber, the seal will absorb a lot of the striking force. Once you get enough driven out you may be able to grab the end and yank it. I think there is a tool that makes the job a lot easier. From what I've read, putting the new one in is a lot easier. I think you use dish soap so it will slide in easier. I've only done them during a rebuild with the engine remove (which was a lot easier).

Yeah, I've never been able to get the upper part out, with a punch. but I never had a problem with it leaking after only replacing the bottom (2 other motors) but this one just wants to be a pita! I'm thinking it might actually be the blowby, and pcv system. I am going to take off the valve cover and clean things up. if I still have an issue then i will drop the pan again, and loosen all of the main bearing caps to lower the crank down a little in order to get the top out too. we will see.

screwed up my cutting and pasting the first time. the post reads better now.

I will be removing and cleaning up the valve cover a pcv system

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

Edited once, last by ().

• If you think it's blow by check your PCV valve and make sure it is getting suction.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!