camping trailer build...

• i didnt read the whole thread, so it may have been mentioned. Look at teardrop trailers. There usually custom built so you can make it how ever you want.
    You dont even have to keep that design, you could change it to how ever you wanted. I have seen some with a nice queen bed inside and a full set up kitchen on the back with storage and lights that were towed behind a motorcycle, so i know you could do something for your jeep.

• Tear drops are well outside my patience level to build and more than double to buy pre-built. Plus they're pretty much a one-purpose trailer, can't use it for hauling anything. But, the killer is width. My trailer will be 42" wide at the base (although much wider at the tires). For a teardrop, it'd be at least at wide as the JK to be comfortable for 2 people inside. They're cool for road use, but I need something for suited for trails, too. I did consider them, even looked at build plans but decided to go with the military type trailer...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• JF pic threads of Jeep trailers... figured there's a few visuals for trailer mod goodies. One had a box over the fender w/ a bracket to hold a 5g propane bottle in front of it. Soooooooooo many possibilities!! :mrgreen:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…jeep-trailer-pics-440899/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…trailer-pics-here-569561/

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• The fender boxes are a nice touch for added storage. For the side that your RTT flips over on though I'd make front and rear access doors instead of a hinged lid... or maybe both... that way you can access the box whether the tent's deployed or not.

[img width=640 height=591]http://i341.photobucket.com/al…iansAdventureTrailer1.png[/img]

• That's probably a 5lb tank. Propane is roughly 4.2lbs per gallon, the normal grilling tank holds 20lbs. I'm wanting to have a 20lb tank for the trailer (mostly for a Mr Heater), just haven't decided where to mount it, maybe over the tongue with the battery?

For trailer access (assuming I go with the Oztrail tent), it'll have a hinged lid (opposite of the tent) and access panels in the lid for getting stuff without leaving the tent, and a CJ drop-down tailgate on the back.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Jeremy, if you have hours to kill... http://www.expeditionportal.co…ms/42-Expedition-Trailers :) that's where I found out about the Timbren suspension, I'd seen it mentioned before, but not with photos. I don't think that fender boxes are an option for me, given the angled sides of the M416 body, but I'd like to add a little something in front of and/or behind the fenders like the black trailer you posted above.

For reference, my end goal is something like this for the trailer.

This guy used a harbor freight frame, along with a HF hitch rack modified to sit on the tongue. I quite like that idea... might use it myself. Actually, I think this trailer is from the guy who designed the kit and sold the molds to the guy who's running the Dinoot site.
    And here's the same trailer with new wheels/tires and a tent.

Andrewson, what are you doing with your trailer, just a utility trailer or build it up for camping and such?

Does anybody know if the small trailers require front marker lights or just a reflector? I've found conflicting info. I've seen a ton of trailers that don't even have a front reflector.

Jerry / Whatevah

• At work, that's pretty much all I have time to do! :innocent:

Looking at that trailer below, I'd move the Jerry cans to the sides in front of the fender to open up that whole rack for storage. I saw one trailer where a guy built an enclosed storage box on the front of the frame in front of the trailer box itself. It was shaped like the /``\ front of the frame. I'm not sure if it had a hinged top or side access doors.

As for markers, lights and reflectors.. I'll see what I can find online. I'd think that the side markers would have to be out on the fenders to mark the out-most edge of the trailer as well as for visibility reasons. All the trailers that we've had/used over the years have had side marker lights. It might be better to err on the side of caution and use lights anyway.

One other thing I think is worth mentioning is, what type of hitch are you looking to use? Pintles are more common on military trailers from what I've seen. I also saw something called a tri-axis or triple axis hitch (?).... :shrug:

• I'm using mine for a utility trailer. It's the non folding hf "heavy duty" model. But I've thought about building another for camping !

Ok cool. Make sure you change out the axle grease when you get a chance, seems to be the only real problem they have.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I don't wanna put too much up front, or it'll throw off the tongue weight. Unless that's by design. Was thinking a box for battery and electrical and room for firewood or a propane tank? I'm already set up for 2 gas cans on the Jeep (5gals, not those pointless 1 or 2gal things).

The marker lights are supposed to be forward, like on the front corner of the trailer body. The fender lights for width aren't required until you get past the 80" mark. Mine will be narrower than the JK. :)

I'm going with the Kilby Max-Coupler... There's a link on the previous page of this thread. Cheaper than a buying a pintle setup, better for brakes (less wear and tear, no slop) and less noise. If I had a trailer with a properly matched pintle setup, I'd likely keep it, but building from scratch, I'll just go with the Max-Coupler.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Looks like you have some pretty cool ideas. Let me know if you need help, i may have learned a thing or two between mine and helping a little with the pete.

The body is scheduled to arrive on Thursday via FedEx, so I guess I should order the suspension soon... But, my main confusion now is trying to figure out what steel type and thickness to use. Weight is the main concern with the frame... I know I need to use a little stronger steel because of the way the suspension loads the frame. Just can't figure out how much is enough and how much is overkill. Keep in mind that this will be used offroad, not just on paved or gravel roads.

2" box for the frame, but how thick? I want to do 3 crossmembers, could 2 of them be angle? The middle one would be 2" box to help with the suspension bracing. Then again, if I want a rear hitch receiver, angle may not be a good option, maybe just stick with 2" 1/8th wall box for all 3 crossmembers? For the tongue, the same 2" 1/8th wall for supports and a 2.5" 1/4wall for the main tongue extending to the first crossmember. (the Max-Coupler comes with a 2" end) I'm thinking regular steel for price and just grind off the weld flash... Receiver steel seems to cost a bit extra.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I think I'd do something like 2x3 or box for the frame. Then use maybe one piece of 2x3 or 4 box for a crossmember for your fancy suspension setup with a few pieces of angle in between. With 2x3 box on the front, rear and sides you will have plenty of strength and surface area to weld things too, like fenders, gussets, tie down hooks, thingamabobs, bamboozllers, bracketry, etc.. It will also give you enough steel in the rear to recess a hitch reciever for ground clearance (and street cred). I would think 1/8" wall would be plenty for the front and sides, then go with 3/16 for the rear with some gussets to support the weight of a reciever rack hanging off of it. I have no emperical evidence to tell you to do something different, but I have worked on and owned my fair share of boat trailers. I can tell you that most of them are no more than 1/8" wall, many aren't even boxed and fwiw, my car trailer is almost completely made of angle except for the ramps. I'd rather it be a hair on the heavy side then twist to pieces in the middle of some trail. My .02

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I 2nd the box tube. It's also much easier to work on. If you build the frame nice and rigid the rest will survive much longer.
    Also- I have an extra propane tank if you need one for exchange when you get to that point.

• I'm thinking regular steel for price and just grind off the weld flash... Receiver steel seems to cost a bit extra.

FYI, the receiver tubing is not just 2.5"x.25" tubing with the seam ground off..

It's actually spec'd to the ID, where as normal square tubing is spec'd to the OD.

The wall thickness is nominal and can vary depending on country of origin, etc.; which means the ID on normal tubing will vary.

• 2" box for the frame, but how thick? I want to do 3 crossmembers, could 2 of them be angle? The middle one would be 2" box to help with the suspension bracing. Then again, if I want a rear hitch receiver, angle may not be a good option, maybe just stick with 2" 1/8th wall box for all 3 crossmembers? For the tongue, the same 2" 1/8th wall for supports and a 2.5" 1/4wall for the main tongue extending to the first crossmember. (the Max-Coupler comes with a 2" end) I'm thinking regular steel for price and just grind off the weld flash... Receiver steel seems to cost a bit extra.

.250 wall seems like overkill to me. A bantam used roughly .120 formed angle for the frame and formed c for the tongue. Granted you plan on adding some more weight but not enough when you consider .125 is a tad thicker and you have an extra "H" with box. They did box in a small section with another piece of formed c. Think about how thin boat trailer frames are.

Just my thoughts.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• I think I'd do something like 2x3 or box for the frame. Then use maybe one piece of 2x3 or 4 box for a crossmember for your fancy suspension setup with a few pieces of angle in between. With 2x3 box on the front, rear and sides you will have plenty of strength and surface area to weld things too, like fenders, gussets, tie down hooks, thingamabobs, bamboozllers, bracketry, etc.. It will also give you enough steel in the rear to recess a hitch reciever for ground clearance (and street cred). I would think 1/8" wall would be plenty for the front and sides, then go with 3/16 for the rear with some gussets to support the weight of a reciever rack hanging off of it. I have no emperical evidence to tell you to do something different, but I have worked on and owned my fair share of boat trailers. I can tell you that most of them are no more than 1/8" wall, many aren't even boxed and fwiw, my car trailer is almost completely made of angle except for the ramps. I'd rather it be a hair on the heavy side then twist to pieces in the middle of some trail. My .02

This. 2x3 .125 wall is going to offer you a decent increase in strength over 2x2 with a minimal difference in weight. I'll go so far as to say don't even use 3/16 wall on the rear crossmember, instead run diagonals from the receiver to the side rails. I cant remember the exact dimensions we're dealing with but I would think use box for the perimeter, a center box crossmember and then 2x3 angle crossmembers at 1/4 and 3/4.

FYI, the receiver tubing is not just 2.5"x.25" tubing with the seam ground off..

It's actually spec'd to the ID, where as normal square tubing is spec'd to the OD.

The wall thickness is nominal and can vary depending on country of origin, etc.; which means the ID on normal tubing will vary.

I'd agree...for the minimal cost of a receiver 'blank' I'm not seeing the benefit. Am I missing something or are you not just using it for a receiver on the rear of the trailer?

Another thing to keep in mind is the corners. Most box tubing has more of a radius and I seem to remember running into an issue in the past where one of the solid style inserts wouldn't fit into a homemade receiver and had to have the corners ground.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!